Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL and Uploading to Website

Options
  • 25-03-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

I hope this is in the right place for this and if not just direct me where to go.

I'm using MySQL as my database for my website.

I must however now upload my DB to the site but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this.

They use PHPMyAdmin but I've never used this so I don't have a clue what I should do - I don't even know where i can find my DB on my machine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What are you using to interface with MySQL on your machine? You doing it via the command line or using a GUI front such as MySQL Control Center or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

I use MySQL Query Browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

I have only done this using PHPMyAdmin both locally and on the hosted site. You just export your database to a file and then load up PHPMyAdmin in your hosting account with your ISP and import the file. Obviously, your connection string(s) will need to be modified on your website to reflect the name of the ISP's database server (i.e. it will no longer be "localhost").

I'd hazzard a guess that the command line backup routine generates the same data file format as PHPMyAdmin, but you'd probably still need to use PHPMyAdmin on the ISP end to import the database.

McGintyMcGoo

I have only done this using PHPMyAdmin both locally and on the hosted site. You just export your database to a file and then load up PHPMyAdmin in your hosting account with your ISP and import the file. Obviously, your connection string(s) will need to be modified on your website to reflect the name of the ISP's database server (i.e. it will no longer be "localhost").

Yeah I was doing a bit of reading up on this alright but I'm just not sure how to get my database to a file.

I read about dumping but it seems confusing - do you know if I can do it with MySQL Administrator?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

I've never used MySQL Administrator. I seem to recall that the command line function to export a database was "mysqldump". Just do a search on Google or the MySQL forums themselves. It's been done a million times before.

McGintyMcGoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Try the backup option in MySQL Administrator. Create a new project and press "Execute backup now" and you get an SQL file, which seems to be what you need.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Try the backup option in MySQL Administrator. Create a new project and press "Execute backup now" and you get an SQL file, which seems to be what you need.

Yeah cheers for that, I managed to get this working and was able to upload some of my tables.

My problem now is I have some tables that have triggers in them but unfortunately I need SUPER privilege access to be able to upload these tables.

Any ideas if my webhosting will give me that information or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Depends entirely on your host and what plan you're on with them. You'll have to contact them to find out.

Advertisement