Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 Galway outer ring road

Options
  • 25-03-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Looks like the proposed Galway outer bypass will be delayed by the 'slender cotton grass plant': http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=11058

I'n not terribly surprised by this, just another typical infrastructure delay endemic to this country. I'm not saying we should ride roughshod over every bog and ring fort in Ireland, but Galway most definitely needs this road. I have calculated that I have wasted up to 1000 hours or 40 full days of my life over the past 3 years having to commute into Galway and out towards Spiddal along the N17 and the various rat-runs and no end in sight.

Here's hoping the powers-that-be will see some sense.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

From that same article
    http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=11058

If there are any serious delays there will be traffic chaos on the roundabout where both motorways meet the existing dual carriageway at Doughiska adjacent to the Galway Clinic.

Whatever the reasons are, there will be serious delays and there will be traffic chaos on that roundabout. Think Claregalway is bad now? Think again ... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I have calculated that I have wasted up to 1000 hours or 40 full days of my life over the past 3 years having to commute into Galway and out towards Spiddal along the N17 and the various rat-runs and no end in sight.

Want some more bad news? Last time I looked at the plans for the Galway outer ring road, there was no link from it to the current N17 alignment. Sounds crazy, I know, put go take a look on the Galway Co Co website.
    I believe the idea is that people will make their way onto the proposed M17 (which is quite a way off the current N17 alignment), then join the proposed M6 and then get onto the ring road.
    But then again, I don't know the area well enough to fully understand the implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

ga2re2t wrote: »
    Want some more bad news? Last time I looked at the plans for the Galway outer ring road, there was no link from it to the current N17 alignment. Sounds crazy, I know, put go take a look on the Galway Co Co website.
    I believe the idea is that people will make their way onto the proposed M17 (which is quite a way off the current N17 alignment), then join the proposed M6 and then get onto the ring road.
    But then again, I don't know the area well enough to fully understand the implications.

The proposed route seems to agree with what your saying but if its all motorway does it really matter having to travel the extra distance to join the M6. Or are you more worried about the added traffic on the N17 as a result of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

jiggajt wrote: »
    The proposed route seems to agree with what your saying but if its all motorway does it really matter having to travel the extra distance to join the M6. Or are you more worried about the added traffic on the N17 as a result of this?

To be honest I'm not really worried, I just find it a bit odd. I'm sure the planners have thought it through, but it would be nice to know what made them take that decision. I suppose I jumped the gun saying that it was crazy not to have a junction with the current N17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Move closer to Galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

serfboard wrote: »
    Whatever the reasons are, there will be serious delays and there will be traffic chaos on that roundabout. Think Claregalway is bad now? Think again ... :eek:

There will be for about a week and then in true Galway style the rat run will come into play. People will realise that the new road gets them to the edge of Galway much faster but they are then stuck in traffic for about an hour. So they will either a) go back to the routes they used to use or b) come off the route earlier and block carnmore oranmore junction.

The reason there is no access to the ring road from the current N17 is that once the M17 is built the existing N17 will no longer be a national route and so will not warrant an access onto the N17. Of course there is the small matter of the 5000 at least who work in Parkmore and Ballybrit off the existing N17 alignment. Typical textbook Irish planning!!! If I was cynical I might say that the reason there is no junction is that they want to force people onto the new M17 by not giving access to the outer bypass. The net result I can see is traffic going to ballybrit and parkmore coming off at the first junction of the is going to be backed up due to the mess that was made of the ballybrit roundabout by the lights that were installed at the entrance to parkmore, or secondly people will go to the headford road exit to and use the rat run over onto the existing n17. I'd really love to bring the road designers on a drive around galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The NRA are the problem here, Galway co co had 4 possible routes mapped out, all of which went close to Laughtgeorge / Clareghalway linking with the proposed Galway outer ring road,an excellent plan that would have sorted out almost all of the problems associated with the current N17. some idiot/s in the NRA thought this wasn't a good idea , they decided to bring the M17 out to near Athenry for a reason that baffles me.Apparently they feel that it wouldn't me fair on the minority of people not commuting to and around Galway who use the route to force them closer to Galway. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

galwayrush wrote: »
    The NRA are the problem here, Galway co co had 4 possible routes mapped out, all of which went close to Laughtgeorge / Clareghalway linking with the proposed Galway outer ring road,an excellent plan that would have sorted out almost all of the problems associated with the current N17. some idiot/s in the NRA thought this wasn't a good idea , they decided to bring the M17 out to near Athenry for a reason that baffles me.Apparently they feel that it wouldn't me fair on the minority of people not commuting to and around Galway who use the route to force them closer to Galway. :mad:

If that's their actual reason, its a crap one. The Atlantic Corridor passes within a mile or two of all the other cities, but not Galway (also one of the major centres on the route). Wasn't that its purpose - to link all western cities with a motorway?!

Is it fair to force Galway-Cork travellers "closer to Limerick" via the shannon tunnel? The fact is, its the poorest route choice in the whole motorway network. They could've aligned it closer to Galway with the same mileage, and this wouldn't have affected through-traffic in any way whatsoever. It must be down to land costs. In which case, Galway has been sold short.

Edit: The fact that the NRA try to fob this one off as the "strategically superior option" rather than admitting its the "cheap option" is more annoying than the road itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

D.L.R. wrote: »
    If that's their actual reason, its a crap one. The Atlantic Corridor passes within a mile or two of all the other cities, but not Galway (also one of the major centres on the route). Wasn't that its purpose - to link all western cities with a motorway?!

Is it fair to force Galway-Cork travellers "closer to Limerick" via the shannon tunnel? The fact is, its the poorest route choice in the whole motorway network. They could've aligned it closer to Galway with the same mileage, and this wouldn't have affected through-traffic in any way whatsoever. It must be down to land costs. In which case, Galway has been sold short.

Edit: The fact that the NRA try to fob this one off as the "strategically superior option" rather than admitting its the "cheap option" is more annoying than the road itself!

I'm afraid that was the reason i got when i queried it.:mad:
    Some idiots, including some Politicians think it will solve the Claregalway problem as well.
    I guess Sligo,Ennis,Limerick and Cork have better public representatives than we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I guess Sligo,Ennis,Limerick and Cork have better public representatives than we have.
    Frank "Rentbook" Fahey anyone? In fairness, if you've ever traveled the South Ring Road in Cork, with the Kinsale Road roundabout having been overpassed, and they STILL left two other roundabouts in place on a dual carriageway, you might wonder about Cork's representatives as well.
    Some idiots, including some Politicians think it will solve the Claregalway problem as well.
    I don't think that the Politicans think that it will solve Claregalway's problems, rather that they're telling us that it will, to get themselves over a hump. I recall a meeting they had with the NRA looking for some relief for Claregalway (even asking for the pedestrian traffic lights to be moved to put them at the actual junction) and were sent away with their tails between their legs. The latest story about the M17 possibly being a PPP is even more disheartening ... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

According to todays advertiser An Board Pleanála don't have a decision becuase the inspector didn't submit his report.

It's bad enough that this is going to be referred to Europe over weeds and rocks without adding more delays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

serfboard wrote: »
    In fairness, if you've ever traveled the South Ring Road in Cork, with the Kinsale Road roundabout having been overpassed, and they STILL left two other roundabouts in place on a dual carriageway, you might wonder about Cork's representatives as well.

:D

One of the greatest cock-ups ever. Now we get to waste hours every week sitting in traffic because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's bad enough that this is going to be referred to Europe over weeds and rocks

The rights of weeds and rocks have to be respected too you know.
    You are hurting their feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Pgibson wrote: »
    The rights of weeds and rocks have to be respected too you know.
    You are hurting their feelings.

Well you can hurt their feelings or you can hurt the rest of the enviroment around galway because noone can move and people are sitting still in their cars spewing several times the amount of pollutants that they would were they able to move

And please don't start about public transport - it doesn't exist outside galway city with a few notably minor exceptions (train line) and can't move inside the city most of the time either

Advertisement