Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperory Foster?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Folks

I have two boxers one male and one female who have lived with me for nearly 2 years now (Female is 1.5 years old and male is 3 years old) and they get on like a house on fire (in a good way honest!). The female is pregnant which was a planned thing owing to my work committments, however following a departure of my business partner from the business I need to spend a more hands on full tiem role until the new business partner settles into the job.

As a result of this and due to the risk of complications in the females pregnancy (Common problem with boxers unfortunately) I dont want to risk being at work while a problem arises at home with the pregnancy (I live on my own). What I am looking for is someone who would be willing to look after the two dogs for 2 or 3 months while the pregnancy runs its course (the male as well to reduce the level of stress on the female).

If anyone can help out I would be grateful.

I have asked Hellrazer about posting this and he has cleared it as the dogs are NOT I repeat NOT for sale I WILL be taking them back!

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

That's a pretty big ask and a lot of responsibility on any fosterer.

You should try posting on www.irishanimals.ie and www.petsireland.invisionzone.com - there is a section there on Help Wanted I think, and plenty of fosterers are signed up.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Glowing wrote: »
    That's a pretty big ask and a lot of responsibility on any fosterer.

You should try posting on www.irishanimals.ie and www.petsireland.invisionzone.com - there is a section there on Help Wanted I think, and plenty of fosterers are signed up.

Good luck!

It is a big ask allright and I would rather not be putting anyone in that position but I am sure you would agree that the health of the mother is the priority and I would not be looking after her if I simply left her in the house while I was out working (is one 2 day shift coming up) and then something happened and she died from the complications, I would be inconsolable if that happened.

She is a livewire (despite being 4 weeks approx pregnant!) and shows no signs of slowing down but she makes sure she worms her way into your heart with the "Death by 1000 licks" routine :)

I wont simply be abandoning them to the foster I will be visiting and helping out etc as much as I could (with their agreement so as not to confuse the two dogs if that makes sense)

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Would it not be better for the dogs to get someone to mind them in your house while you're at work? A move can be very traumatic for a pregnant bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I personally think that in this situation it is unfair to ask anyone to foster these dogs. There are professional breeders out there who will - if you pay them - take in your dog when it is approaching having the pups.

Don't be too sure that she will actually want the male dog around her when she is getting close to her time.

Have you thought about how you will react if anything does go wrong and the person who might foster them doesn't know what to do. At least if you are paying someone professional you can expect a certain level of knowledge and experience. But make sure you thoroughly check out anyone that you might consider.

The networks of fosterers on the above sites are there for rescue dogs who's lives are in danger. Considering this situation, while unforseen and unfortunate, was self imposed it is your responsibility to pay up to make sure it turns out well. This is one of those unforseen costs of breeding that should be allowed for when deciding to go down that road.

I personally think that in this situation it is unfair to ask anyone to foster these dogs. There are professional breeders out there who will - if you pay them - take in your dog when it is approaching having the pups.

There may be loads out there but I dont know them so hence the question :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I don't know any details for any myself. But, I did a search around for you and I refound this discussion forum http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/default.asp I reckon someone on there would be bound to know where you could look for someone who would have the experience to look after a bitch in whelp. I will mention again though that you may be anthropomorphising the bitch in thinking that she will want the dog around her when she is close to giving birth. From what I have seen in the p[ast he is likely to make himself scarce or regret it around that time.

It could also be worthwhile contacting the breed club, I presume there is one for Boxers, they might be able to point you in the right direction too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

I do feel for your situation but there is one major issue i must point out and that is why you planned your female who is only 1 and a half to become pregnant in the first place?? This situation your in highlights that breeding dogs isnt something that should be just taken on by espically by people who cannot commit to it and by that i mean being at home in cases like this or at least having some one who knows what their doing on stand by in case something arises .. this should have all been sorted before this happened. But in fairness at least your looking for a solution.

Im not sure where your based, i personally dont take in other peoples dog's or to pup them etc,.. but if you cant find anyone who knows what to do and what to expect get in touch with me via pm and ill see if i can be of any help to you.

It could also be worthwhile contacting the breed club, I presume there is one for Boxers, they might be able to point you in the right direction too.

I did try contacting the boxer club but the person on the phone (after taking 10 attempts to ring them) wouldnt help me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would you consider paying someone to sit in with your dogs while you are in work? It would be much less stressful than moving her. TBH I would worry more about her with someone else. What about doggy day care or something? Then you will have her in the evenings and wont be forced to be without her. I don't know you so please forgive me but I have never ever heard of anything like that before, seems a bit dodgy to me.

Advertisement