Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House clearance question

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am in the process of clearing my late father's house in Ranelagh, Dublin 6. I live in Galway so very unfamiliar with where you can dump old beds and general rubbish etc. in Dublin. I have a van so I was thinking of not getting a skip and doing the run to the dump/landfill site myself. Where is the nearest one and how does it work? In Galway we drive to the landfill and the vehicle is weighed before and after dumping goods. Is it the same in Dublin?
    Thanks in advance for advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In Dublin, you'd go to the IPODEC to dispose of domestic waste, but they specifically refuse to allow commercial vehicles in (i.e. Vans), even if you're carrying domestic waste.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=129

I have no idea where you go otherwise.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

try your local Freecycle, its a great way of getting rid of old furniture etc rather then putting them in the landfill and its free

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a city council waste depot at Gullistan Terrace, between Ranelagh and Rathmines that can take recycling, but again no vans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not sure if they still exist but there were dumps in Balyogan and Dunsink.

I think your best bet is to ring the council.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Moonbeam wrote: »

They are long gone now (Dunsink anways) they are all covered in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hire a skip is probably the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Moonbeam wrote: »

Ballyogan is still open, here is the website. Depends on the size of the OP's van on how much they'll chagre

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/recycling_centre_charges_dlrd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thank you everybody for info. I contacted the IPODEC who said they'll accept a small van and it costs 35 euro so going with that. Now i just have to find the place. Dublin traffic.....oh no!!!!

Back again. I really need to know where I can go with a large van (Iveco Daily - a bit bigger than long wheel base Transit) to dump stuff. I am getting nowhere with Ringsend and Walkinstown. Any builders out there who know?
    I rang council and they were no help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Your best bet is to forget about using a large van for disposing of waste- no-one in Dublin does this. For smaller quantities- which will fit into a small trailer or small van, you can bring it to likes of Ballyogan (its EUR100 per small trailer). For larger volumes- you *need* to get large skips.
    The nature of the waste may also determine how you dispose of it- e.g. have you thought about the Dublin Freecycle site- its a Yahoo group with thousands of members. Its really useful for getting rid of anything that might potentially have a reuse. E-Mail address is: FreecycleDublin@yahoogroups.com

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Your best bet is to forget about using a large van for disposing of waste- no-one in Dublin does this. For smaller quantities- which will fit into a small trailer or small van, you can bring it to likes of Ballyogan (its EUR100 per small trailer). For larger volumes- you *need* to get large skips.
    The nature of the waste may also determine how you dispose of it- e.g. have you thought about the Dublin Freecycle site- its a Yahoo group with thousands of members. Its really useful for getting rid of anything that might potentially have a reuse. E-Mail address is: FreecycleDublin@yahoogroups.com
    I've posted a load of stuff up on freecycle. The problem re van is that it is the only one we have. There must be somewhere that builders go to surely? Or is there a deal between private skip companies and the council whereby they ensure that people have to use the private skip companies?

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Or is there a deal between private skip companies and the council whereby they ensure that people have to use the private skip companies?

The council hold a number of collections throughout the year for larger household appliances (they are normally announced well in advance in local papers/newsletters). This would include- fridges, old tv sets, christmas trees- etc. Outside of this- people get private skips, or bring a small trailer to the local recycling centre. Personally we had 3 skips last year- as we were doing a bit of gardening and had a lot of branches and non-compostable waste. They worked out at about 250 a go. We left them on the open road to allow neighbours to have a rummage- a lot of waste mysteriously vanished (about a dozen pallets) which saved us and doubtlessly helped someone else.

S..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I've posted a load of stuff up on freecycle. The problem re van is that it is the only one we have. There must be somewhere that builders go to surely? Or is there a deal between private skip companies and the council whereby they ensure that people have to use the private skip companies?

Builders all use skips now. It may be cheaper to hire a skip and fill it then bringing a van to the dump. I found the dump in Ballymont are better at taking oversize vehicles/trailers then Ballyogan, they are a private company and it you show them the van is only half full they'll let you in.

Another option is to get some skip bags from Homebase and other places. They are collected for €80 a go, but they won't take much rubbish so a small or medium skip may be cheaper.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Ended up going the midi skip route with a crowd called All-Away waste in Ringsend. It was 170 yoyos. We had everything ready and waiting for the skip so the driver waited and took it away after loading which meant we didn't have to worry about parking permit for skip. Very obliging of them methought

Nice one.
    The skip guys are normally pretty obliging.
    The crowd we use from Dundrum normally leave the skip with us a couple of extra days, which is handy.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Obliging yes, but 6am skip deliveries aren't nice. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement