Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belcamp College, Malahide Road

Options
  • 25-03-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just moved into the Dublin 13 area and was horrified to discover that the Belcamp college site is to be developed for yet more apartments. To be honest I thought that the school was still running. It's such a shame, we're bulilding over 10,000 thousand housing units and getting rid of the school.
    I heard it used to be a good school. Does anyone know why they closed it? Were the numbers falling in an area like this?!

The planning permission has been in place for over a year and thankfully they don't seem to have pulled anything down as yet! THe hosue and church are supposed to be beautiful, does anyone know if you can get in to have a look before they chnage everything? ? .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kennelly

Three buildings should be saved: 1. The Chapel with its Harry Clarke windows 2. The Main house with its oval rooms(I believe Michael Davitt resided there once upon a time) 3. The George Washington tower at the East end of the lake. At one time this building was the only memorial to US first President George Washington outside of the United States

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Reason why land was sold as per usual was the money was too good to turn down. Gerry Gannon reportedly paid €105 million to buy the 208 acre site.
    I was last up there about 5 weeks ago and you could drive down (what actually used to be the original Malahide Road) into the grounds of the college. I dont know if its been boxed off in the interim but take a trip down

Advertisement