Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Lighting

Options
  • 25-03-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently have some garden lighting that has a 90W rated transformer. I want to add lights with a combined wattage of 100W. I know I should really buy a bigger transformer but want to save a few €€€. ;)

So my question is, will the 90W transformer work with 100W of lights? Will it blow up :eek: or will the transformer take it? :cool:

THanks !
    /Jon

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

No one's going to tell you that it will be fine, because once you go beyond the transformer rating you just don't know. In fact, my advice would be not only should you not go over 90 W load, you should say a reasonable amount e.g. 10 W under it. And yes it could blow up or burn out. It would certaintly be a fire hazard.

Your options are:

1) Just buy another transformer and put the new lights on that circuit. If your new transformer is also 90 W rated, maybe put half the total load on each. i.e. 50 W on each circuit. If it's not the same wattage, balance it out the best you can taking the relative ratings into account.

2) Buy a larger capacity transformer that will handle the new load. And make sure it's a bit over 100W, maybe a good bit over if you want to future proof it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

thanks for the suggestion. Never thought of the fire hazard.
    I think that decides it, no point risking it to save a few quid.
    Will get a transformer that can take the load....

Advertisement