Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Anyone Help With Outstanding Returns

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any smaller accountants out there who could help me to quickly file some outstanding tax returns?

I need to get 3 sets of accounts filed ASAP as I have a court date in a couple of weeks time for late filing. Frankly, i'm terrified about this.

I am a small IT consultant; paperwork is minimal (handfull of invoices per year and the usual expenses).

I've gotten myself into a bit of a mess and at the moment money is tight so i'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a dig out; I believe you are a decent lot on this forum.

I live in Wicklow so someone located there or southside Dublin would be great.

Would it be possible for me to file these accounts myself using ROS even though they go back a few years? If so could somebody give me pointers about where to start?

Thank you (in advance) for any help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

So you've been up and running for three years and not paying any tax?

Sorry mate, you'll have to spring for an accountant, it'll save you in the long run as you have outstanding penalties and interest and you need someone to negotiate a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DaveBoyle

SetantaL wrote: »
    So you've been up and running for three years and not paying any tax?

Sorry mate, you'll have to spring for an accountant, it'll save you in the long run as you have outstanding penalties and interest and you need someone to negotiate a deal.

Hi,

No I have been in business for many years and have 10+ years accounts filed with Revenue. I have just gotten behind with some returns. I have gone through a pretty horrendous period in my life and am only coming out of it now. Not an excuse just the facts of my recent life.

I am not looking for a freebie here; i am looking for a smaller scale accountant to do this work for me. I only mentioned that things are tight for me now because, well, they are and I need to get this put behind me so I can move on with my life after some troublesome times.

anyway, thanks for the reply mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Hi Dave,

Are these corporation tax i.e. ct 1 or sole trader i.e. form 11 returns you need filed?

Thanks

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DaveBoyle

JoeTurner wrote: »
    Hi Dave,

Are these corporation tax i.e. ct 1 or sole trader i.e. form 11 returns you need filed?

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe,

I am a sole trader so form 11 returns I guess.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Look mate- you still have overdue tax as I presume yu didn't guesstimate your liability and pay it over,

You have two choices, file the form 11's and pay all the interest and penalties or spring for a decent accountant who may be able to mitigate some of the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

Might be able to assist.

PM with further details.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I would advise paying a visit to a local accountant, agree a set fee.

Accountant will do up your returns and also help present you in negotiations with the Revenue.

The Revenue have a Statement of Practice that they use with outstanding returns. As Accountants we use this a reason for reducing late fines and penalties.

Now, here is what you do ok.

If this relates to outstanding tax returns, file the outstanding returns as a nil liability for now, what ever the liability for the those years are and tick the expression of doubt box, include it with the liability for this year.

If this relates to outstanding company office returns, then it is possibly that your COMPANY has been struck off and you will appear in court to be struck off as a director. The problem with this is that you will not be able to set up another company if you have been struck off, again I would advise seeing an accountant to get accounts filed.

Please note that if you do not have accounts filed with the Companies Office, then these acounts will have to be audited and this am afraid can cost because you are paying for the auditors certificate.

IF cost is an issue I would recommend a 5 year loan to cover fees, you can have it as a business loan, which will help cover costs, reduce your profit as interest is allowable expense.

Creative accounting is not favoured in any circumstances and as the mod here no advice should be given on how to play around with accounts.

Advertisement