Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange wireless problem for you guys..

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi All

I have a problem at the moment which I cannot get to the bottom of so I decided to ask for some help.

Ok first off, wireless connection has been working perfectly until the last 6 weeks or so.

I have 2 laptops and both were connecting perfectly to a Belkin DSL Router with wireless. All of a sudden laptop 1 no longer see's the wireless network at all and laptop 2 sees the network, asks for the WEP key but will not connect and does not give an error.

So after many frustrating hours I got a second known working Netopia Router and replaced the Belkin but the exact same result happened with both laptop 1 and laptop 2.

I have confirmed both laptops connect perfectly to various other networks and that the netopia modem is working and the belkin modem was working perfectly.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something which is conflicting with the network.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has anything changed around the house - new devices, etc?

Get your hands on netstumbler and scan for other wireless networks in the area. I've had trouble in the past with relatively congested frequencies - at one point, I found 8 networks all using channel 6.

So try changing your network to channel 1, 7 or 13 - whichever channel has the fewest networks on channels "near" to it - that is, if everyone is on channels between 2 and 8 (for example), try change the channel on the router to 13. It shouldn't require any messing on the laptops, though some routers need to reboot to change channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 corkman80

Yup that worked Ok....it was set to 4 which was different to all the others but I changed it to 8 anyway and everything connected first time...

Cheers

Advertisement