Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ports and cables should I use for my Sky Box / DVD / Wii

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this in. As you'll see, I'm a newbie throwing around words that I don't fully understand!

I've got a JVC 28 Inch 100Hz Flatscreen TV ( not HD ). It's about 6 years old. It's got 4 Video Inputs, EXT-1 to EXT-4, as follows ( according to the manual ) :

Ext-1 : 21pin Scart ( Video Input, Audio L/R inputs and RGB Inputs are available. TV broadcast outputs - Video and Audio L/R are available ).

Ext-2 : 21pin Scart ( Video Input, S-Video (Y/C) Input, Audio L/R inputs and RGB Inputs are available. Video and Audio L/R are available . T-V Link Functions are available ).

Ext-3 : 21pin Scart ( Video Input, S-Video (Y/C) Input, Audio L/R inputs are available ).

Ext-4 : RCA Connectors x 3, S-Video connector x 1 ( Video Input, S-Video (Y/C) Input, Audio L/R inputs are available )

I've got 4 devices to attach, VCR, DVD, Sky Box and Wii.

At the moment I've done the following :

VCR goes to the Sky Box ( so I can record from the Sky Box, Sky Box goes to Ext-1 using a Scart Cable. DVD does to Ext-2 using a Scart Cable. Wii goes to either Ext-3 ( using the 3 RCA - Scart adapter that comes with the Wii ) or to Ext-4 ( using the standard Wii 3 RCA AV Connector ).

What I'd like to make sure is that I've set it up correctly, and have the best possible quality I can have, using the options available to me.

I think I've got a couple of options. Would I be better using the S-Video port for the Sky Box or the Dvd, is it better than Scart? Also, I can buy a Wii cable that goes to either S-Video or Scart-RGB, I'm guessing both of these would be better than the standard AV connector I'm using, but which is better, S-Video or Scart-RGB? And I'm guessing if Scart-RGB is better than I'd have to plug the Wii Scart into Ext-1 or Ext-2 ( as Ext-3 doesn't mention RGB ). If I did this, either my Sky Box or my DVD would have to go into the 'non-RGB' Scart, would that reduce the video quality there?

I am eventually planning to go HD, but until money allows that, I'd just like to get the best quality I can out of what I have.

Any thoughts please? Thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Have managed to find some answers, am hoping that I'm understanding them right...

For Video, Composite is the lowest quality, then S-Video, then RGB and then Componant. Is this correct? And basically SCART can have Composite, S-Video and / or RGB as part of the same cable.

My TV doesn't have componant, so my best option is RGB through the SCART. Which means I have two SCART RGB scokets, Ext-1 and Ext-2. I have 3 devices, Sky Box, DVD and Wii. I know the Wii can use RGB Scart, and there's a Wii cable you can buy for this. I need to check if my Sky Box and DVD can do the same.

If they can, I then effectively have 3 RGB Devices and 2 ports. If I get a Scart Splitter ( like 3-1 ) and I make sure that the splitter also supports RGB, that should work, shouldn't it? I'd plug the splitter into EXT-1 with say the Sky Box and DVD ( as I'd never use both together ) and plug the Wii in Ext-2. If the Sky Box or DVD doesn't have RGB then I can just put it into the EXT-3 ( S-Video and Composite ) as there's no point it using an RGB port.

Also, I'm currently using two scart cables to connect the DVD and Sky Box, how can I check to make sure these cables are RGB cables and not, say, S-Video / Composite. Or are all Scart cables RGB cables?

J.

I've found some more time to go online and from what I can see RGB 'Only' Scart leads don't do audio at all.

Does that mean that if I want to do RGB via Scart, I have to have separate Audio cables? Or are RGB Scart Cables with Audio available?

I know, I know, I keep on replying to myself, I'm hoping someone can clear this all up for me!

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Never heard of an RGB SCART cable that carries only video. A full RGB SCART cable carries video & audio.

I've definitely found RGB Only Scart Cables online ( that don't do audio ) but I've also found RGB Scart Cables that do have audio. From what I can see if a cart Cables is fully wired with 21 pins then it handles RGB with Audio ( as well as Composite and S-Video ).

I've checked the manuals for my DVD and Sky box and they both support RGB Scart. So the ideal is to have the Sky Box, the DVD and the Wii all using RGB Scart, that's the best quality I can get on a TV that doesn't have Componant or HD.

So, I've got 3 RGB Scart Devices and 2 RGB Scart sockets on my TV. It looks like I'll have to get a Scart Splitter, as long as it supports RGB on all its ports then I'll have RGB Scart for all my devices.

Has anyone heard any pros or cons on Scart Splitters? They don't weaken the signal or anything like that?

J.

Advertisement