Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implant broken

Options
  • 25-03-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hey, I got both my front teeth knocked out as a lad. I got two implants years ago but one of them fell out the other night and the little bar snapped, I cant get to the dentist till next week and im wondering is it repairable or will i have to pay for a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

I have implants also, I've been told by my Dentist that they need to be replaced (apparently this should happen every 10-15 yrs). Not sure how old yours are but this maybe a factor in what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

tmalmb wrote: »
    I have implants also, I've been told by my Dentist that they need to be replaced (apparently this should happen every 10-15 yrs). Not sure how old yours are but this maybe a factor in what happens

Mine are about 8 years old i think. Head is done in thinking about the cost of a new one, not to mention the fact ill be toothless for a while. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hiya, the implant shouldnt break(but can very rarely) however much more likely the crown, and abutment have come loose after the screw has broken. it shouldnt be a huge job to put the old one back if the broken screw can be gotten out of the implant which is usually possible.

i dont think replacing implants every 8-10 years is normal. taking them out can destroy alot or most of the bone depending how thick the bone is that surrounds them. therefore this would then need extensive grafting probably with what is called a block graft(a piece of bone thats taken from another site in your mouth)which would take at least 3 months+6 months then for the implant to integrate in the compromised bone.
    also it will never look as good in the gum area even with succesful grafting. let us hope that this is niot the case

Advertisement