Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true that rats can enter a house through a toilet

Options
  • 24-03-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I heard that rats can enter a house from the main sewer and up through the toilet, is true or is it just another urban myth?

rat_toilet.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I heard that rats can enter a house from the main sewer and up through the toilet, is true or is it just another urban myth?

Sounds unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Believe me they can i saw it on a documentary on rats and they can enter a house via a toilet .

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I second that! If they are determined enough they will do it! Thankfully they're not overly fond of that route of entry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Rats are swimmers and good swimmers at that! Rats live in the sewer. Rats can most definitely make their way up your soil pipe and into your toilet if they so choose. There has been many a frantic call that would come into my office where the client was horrified to find a rat in their toilet bowl! This can be prevented by installing a toilet flap excluder.
    http://www.asktheexterminator.com/rodents/Rats_In_Toilet.shtml

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Cheers , thats handy to know!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Yes, happened to someone i know, went to go to loo middle of night, half asleep. Male...(thank god) taking a leak and the little bugger appeared! Imagine if it was his wife :eek: anyway, long story short he got such a shock as he actually broke the toilet with the nearest weapon he could find (never asked what that was)

They make sure to close the lid on the toilet day and night, at least it will stop the little buggers coming into the room! To tell the truth, after he told me this i started doing the same. Imagine the fright he must have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My poor little sis sat on the toilet one day (she was only about 7) and heard a movement underneath her. Jumped up to find a frog in the loo. LOL she ran a mile and it took my mam hours to persuade her that the toilet was safe to use :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

I know of a Mink coming up a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Many rats simply enter via open doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

god dammit. I won't be able to relax for the next month while taking a dump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

themadchef wrote: »
    Yes, happened to someone i know, went to go to loo middle of night, half asleep. Male...(thank god) taking a leak and the little bugger appeared! Imagine if it was his wife :eek: anyway, long story short he got such a shock as he actually broke the toilet with the nearest weapon he could find (never asked what that was)

They make sure to close the lid on the toilet day and night, at least it will stop the little buggers coming into the room! To tell the truth, after he told me this i started doing the same. Imagine the fright he must have got.

I don't want to make you paranoid or anything, but a closed toilet lid wouldn't stop a rat. Any rat too big to squeeze through the gap would more than likely be strong enough to push the lid open. :D

The Bollox wrote: »
    lmao!

My poor little sis sat on the toilet one day (she was only about 7) and heard a movement underneath her. Jumped up to find a frog in the loo. LOL she ran a mile and it took my mam hours to persuade her that the toilet was safe to use :D:D
    it was never safe to go in the water!(edit from jaws film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I pity the rat who comes up mine on a Monday morning, following a weekend of me on the Guinness and curry's :D

Mairt wrote: »
    Well I pity the rat who comes up mine on a Monday morning, following a weekend of me on the Guinness and curry's :D
    lmao i feel sorry for the poor rat.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

yes they are strong enough to open the toilet lid on the documentary i saw they had to put a rock on top and still it tried eek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

My rats came into the house in cardboard boxes from the petshop...

It is unlikely that there are hungry rats in your plumbing, there is enough food outside and they generally choose to avoid humans. If you have a compost heap there is a strong chance that rats are feeding from it and are living near your house.

@madchef, tell your mate to ease up on the crackpipe...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yeah, they can, David Attenborough has hated them ever since he was on the can and one appeared in the toilet bowl, he said he looked down to see it looking up at him

Forget rats! How'd you like to meet this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Bollox wrote: »

I think this was the sole intention of t his thread...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I think this was the sole intention of t his thread...
    It could be worse :D:D:D

niiss_bts_emerging.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Demonique wrote: »
    David Attenborough has hated them ever since he was on the can and one appeared in the toilet bowl, he said he looked down to see it looking up at him

Yes, but he was probably in sub-Saharan Africa or South America where the rats choose to go up sewers in order to get out of the heat...

I used worry about spiders under the toilet seat - don't ask me why. Then I had my seventh birthday and I got over it.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I used worry about spiders under the toilet seat - don't ask me why. Then I had my seventh birthday and I got over it.
    I lived in Victoria Australia where one had to contantly check the jacks seat for red back spiders, these would give you a nasty bite and put you crook for three days. Melbourne has a very similar 4 seasons climate to Ireland and with global warming and world travel give it time and these spiders may some day be in Ireland :eek:. They have already reached Japan!

250px-Redback_back_view.jpg

I lived in Victoria Australia where one had to contantly check the jacks seat for red back spiders, these would give you a nasty bite and put you crook for three days. Melbourne has a very similar 4 seasons climate to Ireland and with global warming and world travel give it time and these spiders may some day be in Ireland :eek:. They have already reached Japan!

250px-Redback_back_view.jpg
    blimey yea getting me worried now il have to stand now(not sit):D The spider ye have shown is it the Black Widow?

Yes, but he was probably in sub-Saharan Africa or South America where the rats choose to go up sewers in order to get out of the heat...

I think he also mentioned being in India, hearing a noise below, looked down to see a pig trying to get up the toilet. It was one of those long-drop toilets, it was open at the back, the pigs were used to dispose of the waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

@madchef, tell your mate to ease up on the crackpipe...

'cptr

Lol, this guy is 50yrs + certainly no crack head..was a very bad winters night....maybe we just have hungrier rats in Achill :D

He was very very serious about it.

Advertisement