Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated Windscreen and GPS

Options
  • 24-03-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I have just taken delivery of a brand new Transit van with a heated windscreen.
    Our car is a Mondeo which also has a heated screen.
    The heating elements consist of a grid of fine wires embedded in the glass . The hole size of the grid is about 5mm.
    I think the grid will act as a reflector and a GPS unit on the dash will not receive a decent signal.
    Am I wrong?
    Anyone here use a GPS unit through a heated screen?
    If it works , a Garmin 250 W seems to fit the bill.
    If it does not, an the Garmin be used with an external antenna?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My father has a Mondeo and to get his GPS working in it he got one of the external sensor things that you plug into the machine and then position wherever you want. Works fine for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Rippy wrote: »
    The heating elements consist of a grid of fine wires embedded in the glass . The hole size of the grid is about 5mm.
    I think the grid will act as a reflector and a GPS unit on the dash will not receive a decent signal.
    Am I wrong?

I've used a selection of Garmins, without external antennae, on three Focus and two Mondeo's with H/W, and works a treat. Only problem I ever got was that every now and again the sucker mount yoke would drop of the windscreen, don't know if its down to excessive heat or what, I just slightly dampen it and re-apply to the windscreen and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MickH503

Rippy wrote: »
    Am I wrong?

My TT One works perfectly on my Focus with heated windcreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

I needed the external antenna for my Mio 168 to work in my Mondeo. You just put it at the extreme right of the windscreen because the grid lines stop a couple of inches from the end. An alternative is to put the SatNav unit there but I couldn't do that as the charger cable wasn't long enough to run to the cigarette lighter. I think there may also be room for the antenna above the rear view mirror. (can't check as I no longer have that Mondeo)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

You will find it is the screens with metal tinting for AC cars with problems, i have this and it caused nightmares, but the black dotted bit up behind the rear-view mirror is not covered and will allow signals through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Garmin 250 works fine in my mondeo with heated w/s. no external attachments.

Advertisement