Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinding teeth while asleep

Options
  • 23-03-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

It seems that due to whatever reasons (probably stress related), I've started grinding my teeth at night. My husband would wake me up so that I would stop, which makes him a brave, brave man. (I'm surprised and happy I didn't bite him!) But it wasn't really solving the problem.

So last week I bought a rugby mouth guard and formed it to my teeth and everything, and I've been wearing it at night. Obviously I've now disallowed my molars from contacting each other if I do grind my teeth.

However, I wake up with swollen gums, and my upper teeth are rather sore.

Is there a better solution? (The source of stress is largely out of my control - not much chance of solving this at the root)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

If you have a "boots" pharmacy in your area,they have a mouthguard which takes a mould of your teeth and doesn't touch the gums.They are very comfotable to wear ,cost about 30 euro I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

sxt wrote: »
    If you have a "boots" pharmacy in your area,they have a mouthguard which takes a mould of your teeth and doesn't touch the gums.They are very comfotable to wear ,cost about 30 euro I think

Heard about them and they do work very well indeed... good call

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sxt wrote: »

For 30 euro I'd sure hope it works!

I'll check it out. Gosh, 30 euro though. wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

It seems like alot I guesss,but compared to a dentist which would charge you up to 200 euros for a mouthguard,its a steal!:D...and it will put your mind at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah, going to a dentist would be way worse in terms of money.

still... I wonder if I should try cutting off the part of my rugby guard that touches the gums first, it only cost me 2.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Xiney wrote: »
    For 30 euro I'd sure hope it works!

I'll check it out. Gosh, 30 euro though. wow.

€30 is nothing!! - the real deal from the dentist is about €200 more -i'm collecting my new one this week after gnawing thru the current one!!:( There was a big debate on here about the pros/cons of buying them over the counter as apposed to getting them from the dentist. If you search back you'll find it - i think i might be in a thread I started after my poor mouth guard fell down the loo and was flushed away!:D:rolleyes::D

Advertisement