Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in America

Options
  • 23-03-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi there,

Am considering moving to New York to teach. It's sort of a long term plan, have yet to do dip and am considering masters too. Just wondering if anyone has taught in the US,particularly NY and if so what u think of it?? Love the states, think I would like to live there but just looking for some insight!! Appreciate any thoughts on this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you researched getting a work permit or do you already have one?

I've posted on a load of threads over on the Work/Jobs forum on this very topic. Unless you have some kind of sponsor in the US it is next to impossible to work there.

You can't just simply up sticks and move there.

Believe me, if it was that simple, I'd be there a long time ago. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

hey thanks for that - it is just a very new plan, wanna get my qualifications here, get some experience and that before i go anywhere just trying to get an idea of what i need to look into - there should be a website for this stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Are you the same girl posting on TES who is going to move there with her boyfriend? I just say as there's an oddly similiar style of writing and situation.

Anyway, I would contact these guys http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/default.htm*

Also, look into a BSA school in NY or a commutable distance from NY, as they would be willing to sponsor visas.

* International applications outlined here: http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/requirements/international/overview.htm

Thanks Kittex! No I'm not the girl moving there with her bf!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Would you be moving to NYC? I used to live there, and some of my aunts are teachers there, and the public schools are REALLY rough! Knives, drugs, gang stuff on a daily basis. I'm sure you know this already but I'd def think twice about it. If it's upstate you're going it isn't really an issue.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks! Yeah I have thought about that but I dunno i think I'd like the challenge! It's a long way off and I might change my mind but would like to experience NYC and since that is all i'd be qualified to do and I don't fancy potting around in ****ty jobs the whole time I'm there think its my best bet! Still haven't been to Oz yet so I could change!lol! Maybe i should see how I get on teaching here first!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭swatki

Hey just wondering if you found any info on this ? I also want to teach in the USA

Advertisement