Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arena Interest Check

Options
  • 22-03-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

With all the talk of Irish leagues being set up for all sorts of games I was wondering how much interest there'd be in an Irish ladder when the Event Realms go live.

How many people play arena here?

How many plan on entering the event realm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

I currently play arena at a high enough standard i'd be very interested in an irish league!

Have a full veng undead disc priest on bronzebeard and id be up for almost anything arena going currently sitting in 2.2 2.3 and 2.2 in the brackets.

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thevengsv3.jpg

And yes I have the rating and points however somethings were more important than shoulders which ill get on tuesday night :D<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Thanks for posting the thread Funky. Anyone can drop by the IRC channel in my signature, there's always a few admin about and you can discuss a possible league with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I thought it was only blizzard sanctioned events that you could use the event realm for?

Or can any joe schmo set up a league?

Dustaz wrote: »
    I thought it was only blizzard sanctioned events that you could use the event realm for?

Or can any joe schmo set up a league?

:pac: I best look into that. Nice one Dustaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Well on the TTR the skirmish mode was still working so I assume it will on live too. Nothing really stopping people from running their own games through that or whatever.

Though I never really thought about when the first tourney's over the realm will probably go down until the next one.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if there's anymore interest in this?

http://lanparty.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=139

Can check out that thread if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'd definately be interested in an arena tournament but i doubt it can be organised can it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

My understanding is you pay €15 per account and that lets you create 3 characters on the tournament realm. Then, you and 3 other characters (on the tournament realm) can create a 3v3 team (with epixlol) and begin taking part in arena games. Its still exactly the same as normal but there are cash prizes involved...

It isnt possible to set-up private leagues and whatnot, at least not without breeching the Terms of Use and End User License Agreement. Still, an Irish 3v3 team (or two) would be worth it at least. That and we can finally all copy characters to the one server, have the same level of gear and duel our little hearts out.

Come to think of it, I remember like 3 or 4 people who used to post on this forum about how amazing they were in PvP/Arenas... I'd love to duel them some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

is that 15€ per account per month again or just a once off? i'm not too ****ed about it if i have to pay extra ;|

Its €15 for every 6 week period. Each 6 week period is a qualifier for the big arena tournament. I think there are to be 2 qualifiers for each tournament, at least thats whats planned at the moment and you need to take part in 2000+ arena games, in order to qualify for the tournament (I assume rating will come into it too :p).

I cant remember where I read all this, someplace today... might have been something from the patch notes... I'll have a look around...

[Edit]
    Googling "€15 six weeks tournament arena" gave this:
    http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/arena/tournament/
    Pretty sure thats what I read earlier, although the page has been updated to allow people to register :)
    [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Its a genius move on the part of blizzard to make a lot more cash tbh, I'd imagine a huge number of players (especially casuals) will be forking out the euros to try out some epic geared chars.

I'll probably try and qualify, will be teaming up with another Irish guy I know irl so if we can get one more player there's one irish team there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Id be more then happy to give it a go. Sounds like a good waste of 15 bucks to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Im full sure you can actually have private leagues or what-not ivan.

Over on bg9 they have a seasonal tournament with nihilium arean just beating we really care in the final best of 3 maps, so im pretty sure you can do it someway, although they might be getting help from blizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

so the list of EU eligible countries is up...and Ireland is not on it :( has anyone actually managed to confirm this, or if we were mistakingly thrown in with the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

ughhh what the hell, it seems denmark's missing too.. havent found any blue responses to threads about it

No, I dont think so... its the same as the previous arena tournament that they had before, Ireland was excluded from it.

Its to do with our Archaic on-line "gambling" laws that we've had for good few years now.

It is illegal to have a competition whereby there is a money reward but which players must be a member or pay a specific membership fee in order to take part in. I.e. poker societies cannot have an online poker tournament if it is only available to members.

Since WoW requires a subscription charge and would therefore fall into the same category, we have been disbarred from competing in many of the arena events to date.

I'm sure there is more to it than that, but that is the general gist, and yes, it is confirmed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Proper pile of c0ck that imo. If people are dumb enough to gamble away their money it's their choice but I guess the discussion of the above law is best left for another thread on it's own lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. same old Ireland tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

isnt Blizz allowing Canadians to enter a written essay instead of paying the entry fee.

pulled this from another site;

"Instead, Canadian residents may enter by submitting a 250 word typewritten essay comparing the video gaming culture in Canada to the video gaming culture in the United States on 8 ½ x 11 inch paper and mailing their essay to Essay Entry for The North American Blizzard Entertainment Arena Tournament, P.O Box 18979, Irvine, CA 92623."

why don't they allow Irish residents the same privilege? probably not enough profit in it.

Not that I would be taking part in any case, I'm no great shakes at the oul PvP.

Hmm, not sure I'd believe that with the day thats in it... but I'll investigate...

[Edit]
    Interesting, seems there is some info about it here:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/arena/tournament/exemptionrules.html
    [/Edit]

Epic April Fools Fail ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Arena Tournament - Ireland eligibility
    The arena tournament rules (linked below) have been updated, and Ireland IS in fact eligible to enter the Tournament. (Source)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

i made that thread!

now i feel warm inside

edit: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=3405172741&postId=35075959855&sid=1 this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

****in a

guess I aint quitting this god awful game just yet

Advertisement