Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to take my Yorkie to USA with me

Options
  • 21-03-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know the procedure for taking their pet on holidays with them to USA. I'm going in July for 2 months and wondered what I need to do and how expensive it would be and how traumatic it would be for her (my yorkie!) to travel 12 hours on a plane. Do I need a pet passport, do I need to quarrantine?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Don't think you will be able to take your dog as rabies vaccines need to be given 6 months before you leave the country so the dog can be tested for anti bodies 3 months before they go. I looked in to bringing my dog to San Fransisco in 2005. Maybe the rules have changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I think coming back is the problem, i.e. having them locked up in quarantine kennels at great expense for at least 6 months when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

I think coming back is the problem, i.e. having them locked up in quarantine kennels at great expense for at least 6 months when you return.

Yep - this even applies to Guide dogs but it looks like it is going to be changed for them at least: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/danny-and-ossie-to-lead-ny-parade-thanks-to-ahern-1318377.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

blimey how they managed that i dont know?I thougt the law is the law.Bertie is is not the law in that case we all have dogs and wanting to travel abroad fast ring bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

davey180 wrote: »
    blimey how they managed that i dont know?I thougt the law is the law.Bertie is is not the law in that case we all have dogs and wanting to travel abroad fast ring bertie?

I'd say they were probably thinking about making that change anyway - it does seem unfair that someone relying on a service dog would effectively be prevented from going to the States - and they just brought it forward on a case-by-case basis. Quarantine does serve a purpose though... I'm sure there are contingency plans in case something (i.e. disease) gets brought back... There would have to be...
    handyman wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know the procedure for taking their pet on holidays with them to USA. I'm going in July for 2 months and wondered what I need to do and how expensive it would be and how traumatic it would be for her (my yorkie!) to travel 12 hours on a plane. Do I need a pet passport, do I need to quarrantine?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you do bring her I've heard that tranquillising a dog for the flight does more harm than good.

To be honest, if I were in your shoes and I had the option, I would leave her with a doggy-loving friend for the two months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dardeen

Please don't bring your dog to USA. Ask a friend or someone in your family to mind your dog. The flight alone would be too traumatic, not to mention Quarantine etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

To be honest, if I were in your shoes and I had the option, I would leave her with a doggy-loving friend for the two months.

+1 :-)

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I know someone who brought their dog with them here from Canada in the last couple of years, and they did not have to put him into quarentine for 6 months. I think they had a pet passport with vaccination certs etc - not sure if that would apply for your case though.

It does seem a lot of stress for the dog though for the sake of 2 months - could you get someone to look after him for that period instead? If not, try contacting Dept Agricultre to find out about regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 atb

you can take it out but not back pet pasport soes not apply to USA only europe find a family member or friend to mind dog as 6 months quarintne much longer and more expencive regards atb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

"If you do bring her I've heard that tranquillising a dog for the flight does more harm than good."

+1, it would be extremely dangerous giving any sort of sedatives / tranquilisers to a dog that size if she's unsupervised. The ability to thermoregulate is affected by the drugs, and the dog may not be able to control its temperature (panting / shivering etc), it could lead to hypothermia. Small breeds have a large surface area: body mass ratio, and so are very susceptible to extremes in temperature. I don't know what temperature they keep the holding areas on board planes, but its bound to be too cold for a sedated yorkie! Lots of companies refuse to take sedated dogs because of the dangers involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement