Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best websites to buy vinyl?

Options
  • 21-03-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

I have to say Discogs has been unreal for buying all the stuff i never had back in the day but there are still a few tracks that aren't available. I also used ebay in the past but that doesnt have a patch on discogs. Anybody know other good websites to buy records online?

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Gemm is really excellent -

http://www.gemm.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Hard to find records http://www.htfr.com/ I used to use them all the time but that was good few years ago but they where good and reliable.
    I dont know what they are like now though but they have been around for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Thanks for the quick reply lads. I remember reading a while back about HTFR being well ropey and not to touch it with the mother in laws money. LOL only joking about that bit but i did read somewhere that it wasnt great. I just never bothered with it after reading the negative comments about it. I'll check out GEMM. Thanks me aul muckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I never had any trouble with them but that was a good few years ago now though so could have changed alot

I bought a bit from HTFR a few years ago - found them over-priced and they frequently shipped bootlegs where the track had been advertised as the official label release. I did get a lot of genuine stuff too but hit and miss.

I would stick with gemm and discogs.

• Advertisement

Another great shop is Hard Wax in Berlin and they have an ordering facility online - www.hardwax.com

I have never ordered from them but was in the shop once (for about 4 hours :D ) and they have an amazing selection of techno, minimal, house etc. Must take a trip over again actually, Ryanair do return to Berlin for €55 all-in which is money well spent to spend some time in that shop.

They are great for classics too, but mainly in techno. I made the mistake when I was over to ask quite innocently 'Do you have any tracks on Eye Q?' - I was on a classic trance buzz at the time and thought in my ignorance that being in Berlin that it would be likely that I would get tracks on Eye Q; the guy behind the counter said 'no' in quite an abrupt and smug fashion :D + :rolleyes: Wrong question I discovered for somewhere like Hard Wax. So, if trance is your thing, don't go to Hard Wax ;)

Edit - just browsing through the listings under 'Detroit' on Hard Wax; mouthwatering stuff!!! I need to get there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

~Always ordered on Decks.de, top service & choice, bargain prices compared to Juno. I am on Serato Scratch now so no more business with me Decks, sorry!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I use,

Discogs - Great for bargains on secondhand/rare stuff.

HTFR - OK for new stuff but can be pricey unless it's a popular track. Dreadful for secondhand stuff as they don't state what condition the vinyl is in and can be very expensive for the rare stuff. The one saving grace is that they have sound clips of most of their catalogue but with the advent of youtube it's not as much as a Godsend as it used to be.

Ebay / Gemm - Lumped the 2 together because it's just as much as a muchness which one you go with because both are just Marketplace websites like Discogs and it just depends who you're buying off. Although Gemm do a "Greenshield" buyer insurance thing on certain purchases, costs an extra 15% on the original cost though. Again both sites are like Discogs in that I'd generally only get older stuff from them.

ukdancerecords.com - Great site for underground tunes but the website ain't great. It only has sound clips of one track from each release which is a bit limiting. Stuff tends to go out of stock quite quickly though, but you can ask for stuff to be re-ordered but it just means that when it comes in you have to order it quickly or it gets picked up by someone else. The biggest problem about this is deliveries end up adding too much to the price as you're only buying one tune at a time.

chemical-records.co.uk - Fantastic website for vinyl as well as equipment and clothes. The music section is brilliant as you can listen to the full tune on every release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply lads. I remember reading a while back about HTFR being well ropey and not to touch it with the mother in laws money. LOL only joking about that bit but i did read somewhere that it wasnt great. I just never bothered with it after reading the negative comments about it. I'll check out GEMM. Thanks me aul muckers

NEVER SHOP AT HTFR

www.chemical-records.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I use http://www.juno.co.uk/ and have never had a problem with them. will deliver by normal post in 5 working days adn DHL next day. Can be bit pricey with the DHL although if you really want that tune does it matter the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

NEVER SHOP AT HTFR

www.chemical-records.com
    Yeah that reminds, gotta get rid of that email sub to htfr... I didn't realise they were dodgy though.

Advertisement