Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on how to model!

Options
  • 21-03-2008 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Hi, everybody. I agreed to do modelling for my aunt, who is a knitwear designer. Now, I thought it would be just standing on a platform in front of a small gathering of people (that's what I've done for her before). However, I saw a poster publicising this fashion show and I now realise, to my horror, it's a huge event! In fact, Rosanna Davison is modelling at the same event:eek:
    It involves a long catwalk. I don't want to back out of it and let my aunt down.
    Are there any professional models on Boards (maybe Rosanna herself!) that can give me any tips as I am very nervous about this and I haven't been to a fashion show in years (I have 3 small children so I don't get out much) so I'm not sure what to do!
    I would be very grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Perhaps watch an episode of Americas next top model theres always pretty good modelling tips on there.
    Dont let people like Rosanna Davidson intimidate you. Just get up there strut your stuff, act confident and Im sure you'll look great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

watch zoolander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭missingyou

I love Americas next top model and tyra always emphasises that on the catwalk you should make your walk stand out and seem totally original, dont copy other peoples walks create your own and have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

focus on walking at a good pace, in a straight line. dont have a huge fake grin on your face unless its that type of show. dont hold your hand in a fist and keep your eyes and head level, not too high or low. shoulders back and put your pressure first on the ball of your foot (sounds easy but if in flats kinda tricky to get used to. been years since i did modelling but thats all i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Keep your head up, shoulders back and a smile on your face. The trick is to project confidence, even if your really nervous. Take your time on the catwalk. Practice your walk and turns at home, this'll help your nerves on the day.

Dont worry about who else is modelling on the day, if they're nice girls, they'll give you some tips and try to help with nerves. Most importantly, enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

suck a lemon and do a few lines of coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thanks a million everybody! I've got a lot of tips to go on there! I'll try to watch America's top model. I won't quite match up to Rosanna, but I'll do my best!
    unreggd wrote: »
    suck a lemon and do a few lines of coke
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

personally I think Americas Next Top Model is a bit over the top for irish catwalks. I would look at their walking style and turns and then tone it down a little. Just my two cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

sonners wrote: »
    personally I think Americas Next Top Model is a bit over the top for irish catwalks. I would look at their walking style and turns and then tone it down a little. Just my two cents :)

I agree with you but yesterday Tyra gave some fabulous advise: walk tall and straight, look directly down the walkway - don't look at anyone and absolutely no more than two poses at the end before turning around. It's about the clothes, not the model!

Good luck OP! I'm sure you're aunt will be happy with you no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

daiixi wrote: »
    I agree with you but yesterday Tyra gave some fabulous advise: walk tall and straight, look directly down the walkway - don't look at anyone and absolutely no more than two poses at the end before turning around. It's about the clothes, not the model!

Good luck OP! I'm sure you're aunt will be happy with you no matter what.

Thanks, Daiixi! I'm so delighted with your sound advice! Now I'll have to start practising my walk in the kitchen when nobody's around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

Practice loads. I was going for Catwalk audition and I found you-tubing catwalk tips and tutorials to be really helpful. Also practice, practice, practice.

I wouldn't necessarily smile though - ask your aunt what sort of look she's going for. Are you getting a professional MUA to do your make-up? I'd definitely recommend it because the make-up required for this sort of work is totally different to what you'd normally wear.

My three tips (the first one people seem to miss but it really is the secret)
    - One foot in front of the other
    - Pick a spot on the wall (high enough) and focus on this all the way down the catwalk
    - Practice walking with a book on your head
    - Confidence

Good luck and PM me if you need any help!

Advertisement