Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side HDMI not combining with audio

Options
  • 21-03-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

Hopefully some kind soul here can help me!

I bought a 32 inch Philips TV there at christmas, model number is 32PFL7762D/05 - I want to connect it up to a PC that I'm running as a media centre. So I bought a soundcard with DVI and HDMI outputs on it and connected it up to the computer, hey presto I get my pc on large screen tv with good resolution as expected.

Now, the manual says that I can connect up a PC with a HDMI cable, connect up the sound card to the RCA ports and they'll be combined together, but its not happening :mad: So this leaves me with a problem as you can imagine, great picture but no sound.

I have come to the conclusion that the only possible way to solve this is to ditch the HDMI and try and connect up using one of the composite connections, the Y Pb Pr one or the S/C one?? Is it possible to get a cable that will convert DVI to do this?

If not and I have to use a VGA to composite cable will the resolution I get be as good? I'm so confused about which way to go next and a bit peeved that the TV I spent a grand on doesnt do what it says it will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

i'm no expert on this but hdmi is supposed to output sound and video. I know on my laptop(vista) to get this to output throught the hdmi you need to go into the control panel. Put this onto classic view on the left hand side then go into "sound" On my slaptop i have 3 playback devices in here, speakers, hdmi and digital output, select hdmi obviously enough.

might be of some help to ya

briman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Hi Briman, thanks for your advice but unfortunately my graphics card doesnt combine the signal from the sound card into the hdmi output - probably something I should have looked out for when choosing my graphics card but I thought the TV would combine them like it says it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

What graphics card is it exactly , and have you set the sound to spdif passthrough , thats the only way it works on any HDMI graphics card.

This is the graphics card - http://www.gainward.com/product/product_detail.php?products_id=137

It doesnt support spdif passthrough.

What I'm really looking for is a solution to get my digital output onto the composite inputs of the TV so that it will combine the output from the soundcard.

Will I be able to connect up the DVI-I to the Y Pb Pr inputs on the TV and is there a cable to do this cause I cant find one.

Or will I have to use VGA and will the resolution be anyway decent if I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Snap ! I have that card and it will do sound over HDMI ,

Did you get the spdif cable , if so , you need to connect one end of it to the soundcard ( either in your motherboard or in your standalone soundcard , whichever you are using ) and the other to the graphics card , now , you set the output of whatever soundcard you are using to spdif passthrough , this is in the soundcard settings and all soundcards can do this.

Note that one of the jacks on your soundcard will do spdif but the settings for the soundcard may have to be changed to enable this , otherwise it usually defaults as one of the analog outs.

Its not in the graphics card settings , this might be what is confusing you.

Once youve done that , the sound should now be routed through the HDMI.

Note that the pcs speakers will be bypassed when you do this , so there will be no sound out of the pc speakers.

There is a few pictures on this link , to give you an idea ,

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5891&Itemid=40

For the second part of your question ,
    What I'm really looking for is a solution to get my digital output onto the composite inputs of the TV so that it will combine the output from the soundcard.

Will I be able to connect up the DVI-I to the Y Pb Pr inputs on the TV and is there a cable to do this cause I cant find one.

spdif is digital , there is no way to get it onto a composite input , that cant be done , if you cant set up the card as above , ( you should be able to ! ) then your only option is an analog out , and thats only going to give stereo to your TV.

Likewise , depending on the DVI type connection , its digital , and Y Pb Pr is analog , if you dont have a component out then VGA is your only way to go.

Try the HDMI , it should work , it works fine for me.

• Advertisement

oh great, thanks for the help mathias, I'll let you know how I get on!

Advertisement