Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav

Options
  • 21-03-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Hello there.

My daughter needs a SatNav for her car. I'm not too familiar with them and I understand that one set of maps is better than the other. Needs to have bluetooth. Any recommendations folks?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Have a look at the Garmin range of Sat Navs. They use the Navteq maps which are generally considered better for Ireland than TeleATLAS maps you will find on TomToms.
    I personally prefer the TomTom

The Garmin nuvi 310 is their entry level with bluetooth

I personally don't like the BT facility on them.. the sound is poor

She could always get a BT handsfree kit fitted and get a cheaper sat nav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Hi there.

I recently got the Tomtom 720. I found the bluetooth worked perfectly and the mapping worked just fine. I used it in Northern France and Belguim recently and it worked a treat. Back in Ireland I've had no problem with the maps either. It works great in Carlow, Wicklow and Dublin.

A little bit pricy but I got it online for €299.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Have a look at the Garmin range of Sat Navs. They use the Navteq maps which are generally considered better for Ireland than TeleATLAS maps you will find on TomToms.
    I personally prefer the TomTom

The Garmin nuvi 310 is their entry level with bluetooth

I personally don't like the BT facility on them.. the sound is poor

She could always get a BT handsfree kit fitted and get a cheaper sat nav

Thanks for that Lex. Someone can do me a really good price on a Sony - would you recommend?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

leincar wrote: »
    Hi there.

I recently got the Tomtom 720. I found the bluetooth worked perfectly and the mapping worked just fine. I used it in Northern France and Belguim recently and it worked a treat. Back in Ireland I've had no problem with the maps either. It works great in Carlow, Wicklow and Dublin.

A little bit pricy but I got it online for €299.

Cheers for that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Freddie:

Before you get the GPS for your daughter, make sure you have a good idea of what she willl be using it for.

If she is only going to be using it in Ireland, she will need it come just with Irish/UK maps. However, if she's going to be using it several countries (for example, EU countries or US), she should get preinstalled maps. It's very expensive to buy these after the fact. I'd suggest you get what you think she will need for maps on the front end.

In any event, if you read the pages on this forum, I think it's pretty clear (at least to me!) that a GPS with Navteq maps is the only way to go for Ireland, since Navteq mapping is FAR FAR superior to other mapping software. Garmin has these types of maps, so I would say that Garmin should be something you would want to look at carefully. There are so many different models that I think you get a great choice with their line of GPSs.

Plus, they have been involved with GPS for a long time for a variety of applications (including for airplanes/boats), so in my view, they are the industry leader.

On the bluetooth function, I have a Garmin 670, and after installing free updated software available from Garmin, mine works perfectly, sound quality and otherwise.

WW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you can do without the Bluetooth feature the Garmin Nuvi 250 is superb value and has all of Europe. Unlike the 3xx series it has no flip-up antenna so is good for pedestrian use. www.elera.ie used to be the cheapest at 160 but I think Halfords are advertising it at 150. As one of the cheapest Garmin units it does not come with a case which you need to protect the screen, the Garmin leather case costs about 16.

Bluetooth specs. looks good on paper but in my opinion is not that practical, I'd get a BT car kit and go for a non-BT GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

The Garmin Nuvi 250 Europe widescreen is a little bit more than the one above @178euro with www.pixmania.com , the larger viewing area is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think personally the widescreen versions are a waste of money.

I can see the maps perfectly on my normal screen and with voice commands, I tend not to look at it too often anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

OP, do seriously consider if you want your SatNav to read out the street names...Eg., "turn left in 100 feet" *or* "turn left on Wexford Street in 100 feet".

Advertisement