Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs found in terrible conditions in Laois Raid

Options
  • 20-03-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.laoistoday.ie/3806/ISPA-remove-dogs-from-Abbeyleix.3892500.jp
    ISPCA remove dogs from Abbeyleix house
    OVER twenty dogs were removed from a house on the outskirts of Abbeyleix in an operation manned by ISPCA members, gardai and the local dog warden on Thursday last.
    The operation took a number of hours as the dogs - which included various breeds, including a Bloodhound and Rottweiler and a number of smaller dogs - were removed by an ISPCA inspector and volunteers. Brendan Hughes, ISPCA inspector, confirmed to the Leinster Express on Thursday that they were "dealing with a situation" and that the Laois dog warden was on site, as were gardai.
    "There are various breeds, large and small, a complete mixture of dogs," he said of those which had been removed. "Our enquiries are on-going and the animals have been removed to the safety of the ISPCA facility, where they will be examined by a veternarian and they will get whatever treatment they need," the inspector added.
    It was also confirmed by Mr Hughes that they had been called to a private residence and he did not wish to comment further, as there may be charges pending from the incident.
    One local dog owner was reunited with his dog, which had been missing since February 29, after the raid on the house. Warren Allen's dog Trigger was returned to him but had lost a significant amount of weight in that time and also had a number of injuries. "When my dog went missing I contacted the dog warden and gave him a photograph so he would be able to identify him when he came across him," Warren said. Whil
    e he was delighted to have the ten-year-old family pet returned safely, he added "My dog was in a very poor condition and had lost a lot of weight. I don't think there was any food where he was kept".
    Trigger had a number of wounds, most likely caused by bites from the large number of dogs being kept in close proximity. Warren believed that up to forty dogs could have been locked away in the cottage, on the outskirts of Abbeyleix.
    The ISPCA urges people concerned about animals and the condition they are being held in to take note of their physical condition and observe does the animal have food, shelter and
    water. They also advise people to observe does the animal have abnormal stereotypic behaviour; or appear to suffer unnecessary suffering; travel accommodations (if transported).
    Anyone with animal welfare concerns is urged to contact the ISPCA National Animal Centre on 043 250 35.
    Words fail me here. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Was that place a animal rescue centre or just a normal household bond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As there are charges pending I would prefer not to comment at this stage as it may prejudice the Garda investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Was that the person that we've spoken about before? The location is about right...

You would be correct, hadook.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

unbelievable!
    Thanks for posting that bond.

What will happen to the dogs ? .. will they all be lucky enough to have owners waiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I just hope that that person doesn't get away with it yet again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

*sigh*

The dogs have better genetic material than the "owner"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

peasant wrote: »
    I just hope that that person doesn't get away with it yet again ...

Yeah, it happens way to often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

I only recall one case where animals being in a poor condition at a farm wasn't down to neglect and even then that wouldn't have happened if someone had thought to check up on the elderly farmer sooner, he'd been dead for weeks by the time someone decided to investigate and because there was no-one helping on the farm the animals suffered.

Sadly though, animal starvation is usually down to neglect.

Some piece of <censored!> threw a dog into the shannon a few years back with a brick tied to its neck. It only survived because it managed to get to one of the supports under the bridge, I don't know if the owner was ever caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Some piece of <censored!> threw a dog into the shannon a few years back with a brick tied to its neck. It only survived because it managed to get to one of the supports under the bridge, I don't know if the owner was ever caught
    god that terrible! yes find the owner tie a huge rope and attach a large rock(a ton weight would be fine!) and do the same to the owner.:mad:

*************UPDATE************
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dog-rescuer-guilty-of-animal-cruelty-1369366.html
    Dog rescuer' guilty of animal cruelty
    Thursday May 08 2008

A WOMAN who ran a dog rescue centre has been found guilty of cruelty to more than 40 animals under her care.

Cassidy Sinclair (50) appeared before Portlaoise District Court yesterday on two charges of cruelty to animals.

The court heard that the dogs were living in a 12-inch deep "slurry mixture" of their own excrement and urine and that many of them had open wounds requiring immediate surgery.

Sergeant John Malone, of Abbeyleix Garda Station, told the court that on entering Ms Sinclair's house he "had to go back out a few times on point of vomiting due to the smell of faeces and dog urine."

He said there was a pile of dog faeces in the kitchen measuring two-foot high by four-foot wide and that there were "animal bones scattered on the floor".

Brendan Hughes, animal welfare inspector with the ISPCA said he called to Ms Sinclair's house on March 12 this year.

Mr Hughes said he found 20 dogs living in a compound measuring 20ft by 30ft and a small garden shed.

He said there were also many dogs living in horrific conditions inside Ms Sinclair's house.

Many of the dogs had bite wounds caused through fighting over the bones and that there was no fresh water left out for the animals, he said.

Mr Hughes returned to Ms Sinclair's house the following day accompanied by gardai and a vet and seized 27 dogs.

The ISPCA subsequently seized a further 19 dogs from Ms Sinclair in follow-up searches.

David Fagan, the vet who attended the scene, told the court that 12 of the dogs needed urgent treatment to wounds and that eight required stitches and five required antibiotic treatment for infections.

Mr Fagan said the dogs had been "living in fear and distress" and they had been allowed to "suffer unnecessarily".

Ms Sinclair told the court she had been "running a dog rescue of sorts" and that from January to March of this year "things went berserk".

Help

She said she sought help from rescue groups including the ISPCA but that she did not receive any.

She told the court she "was going nuts" and that people were leaving dogs tied to her gateposts.

Judge Haughton said he had never seen anything like this in his 17-years on the bench and said there was evidence of long-term neglect of the dogs in Ms Sinclair's care.

Hefined Ms Sinclair €500 and prohibited her from keeping any dog again for the rest of her life.

- Dara deFaoite

I'm annoyed that is all she got for what she did! The stupid heartless cow. How could she do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

i have heard of people like this ....

maybe they thought they were trying to help the dogs ... although what they were doing was worse ....

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_hoarding

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

hel_hev wrote: »
    i have heard of people like this ....

maybe they thought they were trying to help the dogs ... although what they were doing was worse ....

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_hoarding

:(

If this is the poster that I suspect it was then I think you are probally right. She really did seem to want to help the animals, to an obsessive extent, just did not seem to know when to say no or when to stop.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Would a person in a normal state of mental health do something like this? She sounds like she needs help. Poor dogs.

She said she contacted the ISPCA for help - do you think thats true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Does she post, here, on boards??

We cannot either confirm or deny that this person is now or ever has been a member of this forum. We cannot enter into any speculation on this and there will be no further discussion of that question. Thank you.

This thread will stay open so long as the above warning is heeded. You can discuss the issue at hand and nothing else.

I don't understand how neighbours didn't notice earlier and how it took the services so long to discover the issue. Surely that many dogs would be making a LOT of noise and we all know that they were not happy dogs.
    This person must have been deranged. How could it be acceptable for animals not to have water, food and to be swimming in faces - it stinks of cruelty! This person never had any visitors either?? I'm sure there are other who should be held accountable for not reporting him/her earlier.
    A 500 euro fine and a ban from having a dog again!! How will that ban be enforced?? If nobody knew she had 40 dogs in agony then what are the chances. Think they would have been better to give her community work cleaning up **** in a dog pound or picking up faces in a race track like Lepardstown and a hefty fine! That would make this person remember in future that it is not OKAY to treat animals like that.!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

reading the wiki link it fits that case ....

think about how much time can go into caring for just one mishief of a puppy .... or 2 badly behaved dogs .. now think 30 / 50 / 100/ 200 ......

of course im not saying thats a excuse ....

take maybe a lonely person, who possible maybe could be slightly mentally ill ...

they see stray dogs and cant bear the thought of them being pts if they give them to a pound or shelter and no one takes them ...

so they decide to take in all the strays ...

they cannot manage so many animals ....

u could get this situation ....

again not a excuse ... but i have the feeling they thought they were trying to "rescue" the animals ....

thinking about it is , its sounds sad to get a animal pts , but of course it is better to be pts , then kept alive and starved to death or die of sickness because of no vet visits ...but i would imagine the person didnt want animals to die and thought they could keep them alive ....

its says on wiki , some people like this can not bring animals to vets , in fear if animals being taken off them ....

this is selfish of course ... but evil & intending to hurt animals , i dont think so

whoever she/ he is , and if they are reading this ....
    they would be better to volunteer to help out a local shelter ? donate some money to organsations like dogs in distress ... would be more benefit to the animals at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

After my below comment I will more than likely get a nasty phone call yet again with threats!

This lady has been offered help in many ways from many groups here in Ireland, you remove 2 animals from her and she replaces them with 4

She is the sort of person that cannot be helped

She knew damm well the conditions her animals were kept in

She did not care

She has people to look after her

She is an animal ABUSER ..................

Thanks for that post Cottage Rescue, hope you don't get eaten alive.

So why do the people who "help her" not do report her. Given the circumstances and evidence that could have been presented in court I think this lady got off lightly. Wonder what kind of a buzz she must get from hurting innocent animals. Shocking.

So why do the people who "help her" not do report her.
    There was an element of subterfuge with her activities. The people helping her were never brought to her caravan/house. They always met her away from her place all contact being by mobile phone.
    Given the circumstances and evidence that could have been presented in court I think this lady got off lightly.
    She was lucky. If Judge Mary Martin was on the bench in Portlaoise the defendant would now be a resident of Mountjoy Prison. That much I can guarantee you.
    Wonder what kind of a buzz she must get from hurting innocent animals.
    These people do not believe that they are hurting animals. That is part of their mental illness.
    Shocking.
    Yes, It is is. :(

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There was an element of subterfuge with her activities. The people helping her were never brought to her caravan/house. They always met her away from her place all contact being by mobile phone.

Man, when you think about it, she must have been a very lonely lady for nobody to go near her house to suspect anything. I genuinely believe people are good natured and would report such occurences. I feel sorry for someone who could be so isolated. Glad they managed to retrieve the dogs and hope they will be all homed. That excercise will be a mammoth task though and the dogs will need a lot of TLC to gain the trust of their new owners.

I heard a story today and it made me wonder if it was the same person. A friend of a friend went to a place that advertised itself as a cattery, and found 30 cages of cats stacked inside a caravan. That was the cattery! He reported it to the ISPCA but he doesn't think anyone did anything about it - he never heard anything back anyway.

Where is this? PM me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hoarding is an illness, hopefully this may put other people like her off taking in the next animal that comes along. Hopefully she will realise she can't do this anymore and not sneak any more animals in.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Where is this? PM me please.

This happened a couple of years ago Bond. The person said that the "facility" no longer is there. If I hear anything further I'll certainly let you know. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement