Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texts, Contexts, Cultures PhDs

Options
  • 20-03-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Has anyone applied for one of these PhDs in Galway, Cork or Trinity?

I applied in Galway.

Any got anymore info from them yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I know someone who applied for that course and apparently he will know if he has gotten it by April. He applied for it in Trinity though. If its April for all thats good as you will still have time to apply for other PhD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Cool thanks, hopefully I'll hear in the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 watermelon29

Does anyone know if the acceptances for the Trinity places in this course have been sent out yet?

Don't know about Trinity, but NUIG sent out theirs in early April. I didn't get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Does anyone know if the acceptances for the Trinity places in this course have been sent out yet?

I would like to know the exact same thing. Does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 japknees32

That was me earlier as "watermelon", haven't heard a thing. I emailed the grad studies office 6 weeks ago asking for an update, and they responded saying it would be "hopefully over the next couple weeks," then as those weeks came and went, I emailed again two weeks ago, and was blanked completely. It's hard to know exactly how they're running the selection process, I was thinking it might have something to do with the funding involved. But who knows? I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what's going on in there. This has been absurdly long whichever way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

japknees32 wrote: »
    This has been absurdly long whichever way you look at it.

Agreed. I am now going to apply to UCD just in case. I was actually told we would know by mid-April. It must be hard for them to whittle down the numbers as so many applied I think. Good luck with your application. I'll post up as soon as I hear anything.

Has anyone else heard from these guys yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have you tried contacting them? I emailed Nicholas Allen in Galway several months ago and he replied fairly quickly. ( I didn't apply in the end). They haven't updated the website at all from what I can see in about four months...doesn't bode well for a course that involved a lot of internet work imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

japknees32 wrote: »
    That was me earlier as "watermelon", haven't heard a thing. I emailed the grad studies office 6 weeks ago asking for an update, and they responded saying it would be "hopefully over the next couple weeks," then as those weeks came and went, I emailed again two weeks ago, and was blanked completely. It's hard to know exactly how they're running the selection process, I was thinking it might have something to do with the funding involved. But who knows? I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what's going on in there. This has been absurdly long whichever way you look at it.

You're not allowed have multiple accounts :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

All the Texts Contexts Cultures students have started now. The first video conference was held today.

They've "updated" the news section of the site for the first time since January. Personally I'd be very worried about a phd that relies on internet modules so much, but updates their site so poorly. Are you a student in the course Furet? Good luck if so, maybe you can let us know how its going, what its about, etc? Thanks.

They've "updated" the news section of the site for the first time since January. Personally I'd be very worried about a phd that relies on internet modules so much, but updates their site so poorly. Are you a student in the course Furet? Good luck if so, maybe you can let us know how its going, what its about, etc? Thanks.

I'm a student. The course, as a whole, doesn't rely on the internet that much really. In Year One three seminars are offered, with students taking two. The seminars are conducted via video conferences. Galway hosts one, TCD another, and UCC offers one too. The seminars are conducted one morning per week, with interested students participating in the web conference. Judging from today, it's a novel (and sometimes mildly embarrassing!) approach that should work well. In any event, the seminars will all be over by May, and that's the video conferencing over and done with pretty much. A fourth module, of equal value to the seminars, must also be selected. This module is elective however, and may be taken from any "real world" course (or courses) offered by participating institutions (such as a Latin module, or a specific History module, etc.)

Thanks very much for the well wishes; starting a PhD is a daunting prospect -- and I've a LOT of work to do!

(RE the website: I'm sure it'll be updated at some point soon ;) )

Well web conferencing relies on the internet, and you will be in contact with lecturers mainly via internet? fair enough though ye aren't taking a degree in web use. What uni are you in? What happens after first year though, are ye taking more classes or is it all normal phd research stuff?

Well web conferencing relies on the internet, and you will be in contact with lecturers mainly via internet? fair enough though ye aren't taking a degree in web use. What uni are you in? What happens after first year though, are ye taking more classes or is it all normal phd research stuff?

My supervisor is based at my university. I'll only need email contact with the coordinator of one of the seminar conferences (because the other seminar I'm taking is based at my university), as well as video contact with the seminar group just two hours per week for no more than twelve weeks out of four years. So really, I don't think it's much more reliant on the internet than a lot of other courses. True, the video conferencing is unusual; but UCC's broadband is sound, and hundreds of companies conduct business meetings in that fashion on a daily basis.

The yearly structure of the course can be viewed here: http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/postgraduate/Doctor/page014.html

All in all, people seem very pleased with the options available.

Advertisement