Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog diagnosed with arthritis

Options
  • 20-03-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

My King Charles was diagnosed with arthritis. She's almost 14 and the vet said that she could put her on anti inflammatory tablets but they might harm her liver. I don't know what to do as I don't want her to be in pain. Otherwise, she is healthy although getting a bit slow. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Laura.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You can get Glucosamine for dogs which can help a lot. As long as she has a decent quality of life without the anti inflammatories then I guess she is better off not taking them. You will have to judge whether she is in serious or mild discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

It's in her front paws that she has it and she keeps licking them. She is a very happy dog. (treated like a queen and rules the roost!:D)
    I just know that dogs are much better at coping with pain then people so I don't know how much pain she is in. The last thing I would want to do is leave her in pain but I don't want to give her medicine if its not needed. Money is no object when it comes to my pets so if anyone knows of any other medicines for arthritis can they please tell me about them?

Ask your vet about glucosamine. We had it years ago for an ancient cairn and sisters MIL has had it more recently, it can really help keep them mobile.

If your vet doesn't do it try another vet.

Thanks Carwash! All the advice is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

With the glucosamine you want to add chondroitin (sp?) as well.

I have a 4 year old collie with auto immune arthritis so I'm walking a fine line between maintaining his quality of life and not damaging his health further. I'll post further once I get home - there's a whole host of things you can get to help her without going down the anti inflamms route just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 lovelyjuvly

Hiya
    I have found that over the years my dogs responded really well to homeopathy.
    There is a homeopathic vet in Cork, although he is linked in with a vet in Dublin. I dealt with him a few years ago when my shih tzu was sick and he was brilliant. He emailed me all the info and stuff he required, and made up a remedy for her.
    If you want to pm me I can give you his details!

PS. Dogs and Cats also respond really well to the Bach Flower remedies and resuce remedy... - just a few drops in their water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

we used to give our dog some cod liver oil in his food

Anyone know of any vets who treat animals with homeopathic remedies in Dublin?
    Thanks,
    Laura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Sandra Aungier, Hillcrest Veterinary Hospital, Coolmine, Clonsilla, Dublin 15
    Phone number is 8213189 and 8213868:)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Jim Fox in Finglas practices homeopathy, and he has another practice somewhere else in Dublin....not sure where though.
    The vet is right that the anti-inflammatories arent great for the liver, but to be honest, the dog would have to be taking massive doses for a prolonged period. If the arthritis is mild then the dosage would also be mild. Metacam and rimadyl are great for arthritis (they are of a newer generation of drugs and would therefore be rigourously tested, side effects and damage they would cause would be to a minimum), rimadyl especially so.
    Maybe not at the moment but in the future, if things worsen it is definitely something to think about seriously.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I doubt she has that long left anyway but I just don't want her in pain. Shes such a gentle little dog and I can't bear to even think about her being uncomfortable. Thanks for all the advice, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd recommend Sandra too. Wouldn't touch homeopathy (personal pref), but she is an excellent vet. I'd ask about gloucosamine and chrondotin - from experience it works wonders.

bubby wrote: »
    I'd recommend Sandra too. Wouldn't touch homeopathy (personal pref), but she is an excellent vet. I'd ask about gloucosamine and chrondotin - from experience it works wonders.

I have an excellent vet already, its just he doesn't do homeopathy. He has been treating my dog since she was 10 weeks old. knows her back to front and most importantly she loves him!! Thanks though Bubby!!:) She's going back to the vets on Friday evening to let him have another look at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Laura,
    Was just thinking about this yesterday .... we got a sample of dog food from www.husse.ie, saw a link on some website. The sample arrived and there was a leaflet listing the company's other products. I do not have any affiliation whatsoever with these folks (just in case the mods think I'm marketing).

Their product is alled "ArtroHusse" - ArtroHusse contributes to the relief of pain and improves flexibility in pets with arthritis. Contains Glucosamine to improve flexibility and Devil’s Claw to counteract pain.

You could ask the vet and see what is said

Arden Grange Senior is supposed to be really good for arthritis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suze2shoes

Hi I have a question about the glucosamine,

My dog also is around 13 shes a border collie x but she had a ruptured cruciate ligament a few years ago and has never really been the same since. The made her a new cruciate with sucher material (which was fantastic) and put her on metacam cos she also had some arthritis in her hips at that stage so Im just wondering if the glucosamine should do the same thing for her joints.
    She struggles to get up in the morning and when she goes out into the garden she stumbles around for the first few minutes!!!
    I'd appreciate it if anyone would have any advise on this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

you could try ubavet liquid formula glucosamine hcl complex (glucasamine chlorhydrate complexe)its helping my dog too were he is enjoying his walks again of my friend swears by arthriti-um plus paste a blend of glucosamine sulphate,chondroition sulphate,devils claw and green lipped mussel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I would definetly give ArtroHusse a try (www.husse.ie). I haven't personally tried it, but it sounds good. I diet rich in Omega 3 and 6 should help to, so perhaps a bit of salmon oil on the food? Also, check out http://www.entirelypets.com/nutsupforjoi.html . It's company in the state. I've ordered from there before and they're brilliant. The shipping is quite expensive, so you may want to get a good few bits at a time... I think it's generally around $30 to Ireland. They do a dog asprin though that you can give on bad days to relieve pain.

Advertisement