Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convert image to cad dwg

Options
  • 20-03-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi everyone. I have to draw up a streetscape for a planning application and was just wondering is there a program you can download to convert a jpeg to a dwg/dxf file in autocad. Great site by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I think you can import images to attach to an existing .dwg but I don't think there's a way of extracting the raw image data for manipulation or anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some people xref in the image and trace over it like for building profiles and what not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Its an issue I quite often face, and I have yet to find any software that will convery JPEG directly into .DWG. If the JPEG has any dimension marked on it, or anything that has a known dimension, then it can be imported into Autocad or a whole number of other CAD apps as a picture and then expanded or reduced to the drawing scale and then, as suggested above, traced over. It's not a dead accurate way of doing it though since JPEG doesn't produce sharp lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Give this a go....... http://wintopo.com/wintopo-free.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Johnniep wrote: »

I've tried it and it works:)
    I don't know if it helps the originator of the post, but it does help me. Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Johnniep wrote: »
    Thats not going to help in my opinion,
    Its a raster to vector convertor, so it can take a rastered "line drawings" and make a vector drawing from it.
    It won't work well with a photographic, as there is no line data to vectorise.

As an aside, one example often used is PDF, which is a bit silly as a PDF is a vector drawing already (unless scanned)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

This will do PDF to DWG/DXF while not free it does work.

EDIT: Just noticed it's incredibly expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think there is a way to do PDF to DWG with pretty standard office software.
    A pdf is already a vector drawing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Mellor wrote: »
    I think there is a way to do PDF to DWG with pretty standard office software.
    A pdf is already a vector drawing

This is one PDF - to DXF

http://www.aidecad.com/pdf-dxf-buy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Nice one Sinnerboy... Aide PDF to DXF, thats pretty good quality. Better than the others I've tried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement