Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Wimax network

Options
  • 20-03-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to look into building out a wimax network for testing purposes. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this. Basically I'm wondering because its broadcasting over such a large distance, do you need to get a license to set one up, and what sort of costs are you looking at in terms of hardware?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Forget about it unless you have deep pockets.
    Wimax is not wifi and needs a lot more preparation and investment to "experiment with".
    I will assume for the sake of the argument that you are based in Ireland. There are only a limited number of Wimax licenses and these are rather pricey (i.e. millions).
    Hardware has come down in price substantially over the last few years but is also still a serious investment.
    Now if you have the neccessary resources and are serious about this let me know and I am more than willing to talk to you about Wimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Just yesterday, I saw this link on Slashdot:

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20432/

It's some 'new' technology by Intel, not really wimax, I think using the unlicensed spectrum, I wonder if it could work.

Being a member of an wifi network I often ponder what the next generation of the network will be, after all 2.4 or 5 Ghz has it limitations and I don't see an easy path to a faster network. If this technology is really true to it's performance gains, it's a big step forward, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

mayhem# wrote: »
    Now if you have the neccessary resources and are serious about this let me know and I am more than willing to talk to you about Wimax.

Well there is talk of spending a lot of money on this ( a significant 6 figure sum). Its for a small local deployment that will be used for testing for several R&D projects rather than rolling out something commercial. At the moment though its at the early planning stages of seeing if its feasible or not. We're looking at several technologies, and maybe if the costs are prohibitive it won't get the go ahead, and something else will be used. Thats why I'm trying to get some sort of idea as to whats involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I sent you a link to a supplier of equipment , there is no great mystery to it at all , they will happily advise you regardless of pocket depth.

To clarify my earlier comment; the technology is not the issue and any manufacturer will be able to assist you if you want to explore this further.
    However there are strict regulatory guidelines that require substantial financial commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

mayhem# wrote: »
    To clarify my earlier comment; the technology is not the issue and any manufacturer will be able to assist you if you want to explore this further.
    However there are strict regulatory guidelines that require substantial financial commitment.

I'm presuming this is to do with the purchasing of licenses/spectrum from Comreg?. Any links to where this would be detailed?

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/wireless_test_and_trail_licensing.541.545.html
    Also I am more than willing to have a chat with you about wimax. Just PM me...

Advertisement