Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on trains?

Options
  • 20-03-2008 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Just something that has been bothering me for a bit, can you bring dogs on trains? because I'd love to bring my dog to the pheonix park for a bit, and it would be handy if you can bring dog on trains as it stops at the pheonix park.

My dog is very well behaved and is toilet trained and everything and will sit there quietly if she needs to be. So yea if anyone knows if you can or not, could you tell me, I don't want to look like a right plank turning up at the station with the dog beside me just to be told "Are you crazy? You cant bring her on the train!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

yes and no:Pets (with the exception of Guide dogs) are not allowed onto the DART or Suburban rail trains. They are allowed on Intercity trains ONLY in a box or muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Ah alright, thanks I basically asked really because I heard you could but thanks anyway, I might bring her out to Dunadea forest with my new pony then .. can be a bonding experiance for them haha!

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I've brought my dogs to the phoenix park on the train a couple of times since the new station opened (about 20mins from park) without incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Ah alright, thanks I basically asked really because I heard you could but thanks anyway, I might bring her out to Dunadea forest with my new pony then .. can be a bonding experiance for them haha!

thanks again

Im pretty sure you cant take a pony on the train :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Killme00 wrote: »

What about the Pony Express? :rolleyes:

I've brought a small dog on the Dublin Maynooth line in a carry case a few times with no problems. At off peak times there should be no problem. Ring one of the stations to get the full story though.

• Advertisement

Arcadian wrote: »
    I've brought my dogs to the phoenix park on the train a couple of times since the new station opened (about 20mins from park) without incident.

where do you get the train if you don't mind me asking? I'll be getting on at maynooth to get there!

javaboy wrote: »
    What about the Pony Express? :rolleyes:

I've brought a small dog on the Dublin Maynooth line in a carry case a few times with no problems. At off peak times there should be no problem. Ring one of the stations to get the full story though.

Hmmmm I could try that, but she's a big dog (about retriever size) so I don't hink a carrier case would wurk! ah sure I'll ask anyway!

Killme00 wrote: »

Oh yea, sure he'd take up a few seats alright and he might eat a few hats and papers and there might be a bit of a mess alright haha but I'm sure they'd have no problem! haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

where do you get the train if you don't mind me asking? I'll be getting on at maynooth to get there!

I get on at Clonsilla, so it's only four stops or so. So long as you're not travelling at the busy commuter times you should be fine, but as is often the case you could possibly run into a staff member who simply won't hear of it.

Arcadian wrote: »
    I get on at Clonsilla, so it's only four stops or so. So long as you're not travelling at the busy commuter times you should be fine, but as is often the case you could possibly run into a staff member who simply won't hear of it.

hmmm yea that's what I'd be worrying about as well, my dog is fairly big but is obediant, but she does have a very friendly streak that might not go down well with a grumpy staff member if she tried to say hello.
    Might just go down and ask them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

You can take them on the intercity trains but they must be in a crate and it costs about 8 euro one way for em. They are not technically allowed on the dart etc... But if no one noticed... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Animals have to travel in the guards van on Intercity trains, this came in after somebody left a snake in the luggage rack on a train going from Dublin to Galway and it either escaped or some little brat let it out

Haha I think I might just scrap the idea haha, because I would never get away with sneaking her on a train! (karma and of course murphys law haunt me!)

And I personally think she's hate it anyway. being boxed up that is, She's never been in a carrier case or even anything like that before in her life she would prob hate me after! (we have the boot for her with a dog guard, she loves it!)

Advertisement