Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun licence

Options
  • 19-03-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

i'm applying for my third shotgun licence and the local garda says that i have to get permission to shoot off two land owners again. i'm also a member of the local gun club. just doesn't make sence to me. does anyone know if he is right or as i suspect wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i'm applying for my third shotgun licence and the local garda says that i have to get permission to shoot off two land owners again. i'm also a member of the local gun club. just doesn't make sence to me. does anyone know if he is right or as i suspect wrong?

your right he is wrong ,what reason did you give for the new gun prob game shooting hance the two note s from farmers , but been a member of a rgc should do him ..i went head to head with my super last over my euro pass and i proved him wrong with the help of a few friends .the p k was not too happy but still did not give me what i asked of thim . moral of the story ,might be best to get the note s

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Certainly doesn't sound right. Can you go over his head and straight to the super? Surely your third licence is classed as a "subsequent" licence (I think that's the phrase) just like your second one was?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Guy is just making your life difficult.Ask him why they need this for somthing that is already est fact??And under what part of the law can they ask for thisagain.
    JWS,
    the PK has no legal right to refuse the firearms pass.Would suggest you go over his head to Cheif Super,or Garda Ombudsman.This has nothing to do with granting a liscense for a firearm,that is already there.He is refusing to issue ligit paperwork of the EU to which you have a right.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

you should give a bona fide reason why you need a third shotgun,
    ie; one for game , one for clays and the third is a dtl trap gun or a
    dedicated 3.5 inch chambered wildfowler.. have a good reason and
    stand your ground..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

When I went for my additional shotgun ( have 2 ) the local sergeant asked me what I wanted it for : told him straight out that the one I had was starting to show a bit of wear and tear and that I didn't want to damage it beyond repair. He asked me why I didn't trade it in. Told him I didn't want to part with it because the old man gave it to me. Fair enough he said, sat down at the keyboard and rattled the details of the new gun straight into the system. It just doesn't stop amazing me how different the approach in different districts and divisions can be. As for the Europass : you're entitled to one for every gun you own. It would be a lot handier if you got the cert and the pass issued at the same time. Saves us and the cops a bit of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

the ombudsman wouldn't have much to do with this i think. under the new act it iwll soon be the chief super who will grant the cert. dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. maybe more uniformity, maybe. anyway, they can't grant you one licence and not grant another if you can justify the firearm. if you have a legitimate reason and you've been granted a firearm before then they have to give it to you. otherwise its off to court you go.

Advertisement