Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisturiser use by date

Options
  • 19-03-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

A few weeks ago I bought an Olay Total Effects moisturiser in a Tesco shop. I since noticed a sticker on it with a 15% off offer for Oasis. According to the sticker, the offer is valid until 01/11/06! This is putting me off using it as it gives me the impression that it was sitting in a warehouse/on a shelf for about two years.

On the box is the symbol of a container with the lid off and it says 12M on it. Does this mean that the cream is ok to use up to 12months after opening it? I'm not sure if this is even relevant as psychologically I'm already 'put off' using the cream. Could it still be ok to use?

Would I be within my rights to return the cream? I know I have the receipt somewhere but it's probably gone past the 28 day thing that some shops do.

Out of curiosity, I checked in another Tesco in a different city at the weekend and they also have these items in stock with the 2006 sticker. My original Tesco is also selling the same cream without the sticker. Maybe they would allow me to exchange them. Mine's unopened.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Could be just a misprint and it's meant to read 08?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Hmmm, good thinking.

I just checked the Olay website (http://www.olay.co.uk/olayproducts/te-fe-tc.jsp) and here's what it says:

This offer is open to all residents in the UK & ROI over 18 years of age.

Consumers can claim 15% off at Oasis on production of a till receipt showing purchase of Olay Total Effects First Effects.

Closing date is April 1, 2007.

Oasis has confirmed its willingness to honour this offer.

The promoter cannot be held responsible for any Oasis store declining acceptance of this offer for reasons of their own.

Separate Oasis terms and conditions may apply.

PROMOTER: Procter & Gamble UK, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 OXP

So it looks like it does relate to 2006 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

That's mad. Maybe email olay and ask them? there's probably a batch number on the cream so they may be able to check. I'd be put off using it too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

July wrote: »
    On the box is the symbol of a container with the lid off and it says 12M on it. Does this mean that the cream is ok to use up to 12months after opening it?

That 12M symbol refers to the thickness or type of the plastic of the container. It's on all cosmetic bottles, I think for recycling purposes.

As far as I'm aware cosmetics don't have use by dates but can have best before dates. I'd say it's a common enough occurrence to have older packets kept if the contents don't deteriorate over time. I wouldn't worry about the cream harming you in any way and is probably fine. I have moisturisers and lots of other cosmetics at home that are a good 5 years old and are still grand even though they're open (I know about the bacteria building up but I'm not bothered about that)

However as a consumer you have the right to exchange on this item provided you don't open it, so if it's nagging you do.

You could also ring the manufacturer's customer services dept and ask them.

If it was me though, I'd have it opened and not be worrying about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Generally the advice given about creams and moisturisers - and make-up too -is to use them within 6 months of opening, because after that time there'll be quite a bit of bacteria in there and you can get skin infections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Thanks for the replies. Cathoo, you were spot on. I rang the helpline on the box - for some strange reason, it hadn't dawned on me to do this before your post as I had it in my head that it was Tesco I had to deal with.

Anyway, I spoke to a very friendly and helpful agent who explained the coding system to me. The code on the product is 6172. This means that it was manufactured on the 172nd day of 2006. She said the product is good for 3 years unopened from that date so it should be fine.

I'll be rummaging through the shelves in future to try to find the newest code! :p

Das Kitty, if any of your moisturisers have spf in them, I think its effectivness reduces over time so beware the wrinkles! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That 12M symbol refers to the thickness or type of the plastic of the container. It's on all cosmetic bottles, I think for recycling purposes.

Nope that's wrong, she was bang on when she said...
    July wrote:
    On the box is the symbol of a container with the lid off and it says 12M on it. Does this mean that the cream is ok to use up to 12months after opening it?

Have seen from 3 months up to 36 months on products, and that does mean how long they are good for once opened.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Right you are.
    The PAO is indicated by an open-jar symbol accompanied by the recommended number of months within which the product should be used, followed by the abbreviation "M", standing for "menses" (months in Latin); e.g. 12 months is indicated by 12M.

Stupid liar-y home-ec teacher.

Nah I don't use any SPF products, my face is usually lucky to get moisturised. I is a lazy sod, who will be a wrinkly bag by the time I'm 50. I also eat things well past their best before date so I don't think I'm the best example to be following when it comes to health & safety!

Advertisement