Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would i be able to claim the dole?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Basically im in college at the moment and am currently in my final year. Im finished college at end of may and have agreed to work for a company after college. I dont begin employment with them until nov.

Would i be right in thinking you have to be out of education for longer than 3 months to claim the dole? If so, i would be ineliable june, july and aug but might be able to claim it in sept and oct? Reason why i am asking is because ill be travelling until sept and no place would take me on for only 2 months and ill need some money to keep me going till i start work in nov. any advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I know you're not able to claim dole whilst in full time education, but I'm not sure about the time between graduating and starting a new job. You're best bet is to ring the social welfare office

Or, how about getting a summer job whilst you're waiting for this new job to start? You could go on the J1 scheme to America, I'm not sure but there might be a few places reserved for people who have graduated.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

I got the dole when i finished up in college. I signed on the week after and got it 6 weeks later (including back dole) the reason it took so long was because i was short on credits or something...so you shouldnt have a prob getting it, so long as you have a college stamped note saying you have fully completed your course and you have to be available to sign on once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dublad

cool so theres no need to have to wait 3 months or anything then? ill b away from the last week in july to half way through sept (but will b back half way through august 4 a couple of days), would i be able 2 claim it then or will i have to wait till i return?...thanks 4 the advice btw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dublad wrote: »
    cool so theres no need to have to wait 3 months or anything then? ill b away from the last week in july to half way through sept (but will b back half way through august 4 a couple of days), would i be able 2 claim it then or will i have to wait till i return?...thanks 4 the advice btw

You have to actively seeking employment, and available to accept employment, in order to claim the dole. It sounds to me like you intend to go travelling and want to claim the dole why you are away. This is not allowable, and could potentially result in a demand from DSFA to repay any payments made, were they to discover this. In addition- you can be requested to report to your local FAS office for an interview to determine what your ideal employment will be- and offered a job on the basis of this interview (or further training). If you don't turn up at the FAS office, or refuse the job offered, you can have your dole cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dublad

I accept your point about claiming whilst travelling, I was more asking out of curiousity more than anything. My main point was that I will only be available to work during Sept and Oct, when I return from my travels, and I think it would be highly unlikely that anyone would take you on for this short a period. I would only just be trained up and would be leaving before they would be able to gain any real benefits from the time they spent training me.

I know I could lie and not tell them that I would be leaving in Nov but I wouldn't really be comfortable with doing so. If a job came up for those 2 months then I'd defo do it but I just dont think it will and I'll need money to get by on. As I said earlier i have already agreed to start work with a company in Nov, would this effect my eligablity to claim in Sept and Oct?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement