Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast to Cork

Options
  • 19-03-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone know the best way to travel from Belfast to Cork,

I know the train is reliable via Dublin. How much would this cost?
    Im not that fussed on flying though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Aer Arann are probobly the best way to do it unless you want to be fussing about unreliable connections in Dublin.

Bear in mind for the train you'll have to transfer between stations via the LUAS. The Cork - Dublin and Dublin - Belfast trains do NOT go from the same station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

As there is major change in Dublin needed, I would go by plane unless you wanted to visit Dublin for a reason. What luggage will you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldnt call getting a quick trip on the Luas from heuston to connolly major...

Question though how much would it cost to get a train from cork to dublin then dublin to belfast, im sure it would be a bi more than flying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

1huge1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt call getting a quick trip on the Luas from heuston to connolly major...

Question though how much would it cost to get a train from cork to dublin then dublin to belfast, im sure it would be a bi more than flying

You can't buy a single ticket on the Translink website from Belfast to Cork (Well, I can't find an option to); perhaps a call to a station may give you a price for such a journey. The best I can say is that a Irish Rail ticket Cork-Belfast is €81.30 single and €92.60 return, including a LUAS transfer between stations. Aer Arran fly Cork-Belfast City but you will be looking close to €200 return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cass123456

I wouldn't be travelling with much and there is a group of us going so the train would be good. I'll call into central station and ask them because you can't get any price info online from translink or irish rail (probably because of the cross border travel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Ryanair to Dublin and Aircoach to Belfast might be worth considering, depending on the fare you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

There's a direct flight from Cork to Belfast with Aer Arrann as far as I know. I took it about two years ago. Save yourself the hassle and the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Hamndegger wrote: »
    You can't buy a single ticket on the Translink website from Belfast to Cork (Well, I can't find an option to); perhaps a call to a station may give you a price for such a journey. The best I can say is that a Irish Rail ticket Cork-Belfast is €81.30 single and €92.60 return, including a LUAS transfer between stations. Aer Arran fly Cork-Belfast City but you will be looking close to €200 return.

Aer Arann can be as cheap as GBP 60 return, given enough advance booking time.

There are two flights in each direction each weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

KC61 wrote: »
    Aer Arann can be as cheap as GBP 60 return, given enough advance booking time.

There are two flights in each direction each weekday.

That is true, KC; you can get better with advance booking; trouble is most of us don't generally know months ahead that travel is required so higher rates end up being charged. To get the price I worked on, I browsed their site and got a price for return flights next week. One advantage rail has is that you can get the same price pretty much any day of the week (specials excepted) without booking long in advance; often even on the day of traveling.

GB60 is circa €75, excluding exchange commissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Oh in that case the train is definitely the option for me because I'll be travelling as a student which is usually considerably cheaper.

thannks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aer Arann next weekend (Fri/Mon) is approx £141.02 GBP.

By train, make sure you ask for the Luas / bus add-on.

Advertisement