Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project on Spirituality - need help

Options
  • 19-03-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello folks, a group of us are doing a project on Spirituality... we are a group of five people who know very little about it but who are very interested in learning more about it.. We have to present it in about 30-40 minutes or so and so we recognise that we will only get to touch on the very basics of it as a subject... we are looking at exploring Celtic Spirituality, Native American Spirituality, New Age Spirituality... Could you suggest any others which we might look at? Where would be good to go to for information and lastly, as its such a short presentation we want to convey to the rest of the class the message/feelings in as effective a manner as possible... We've been thinking of using various types of music/lighting etc.. but are open to any ideas you might have? Thank you for any help you can give :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't know a lot about other spiritual practises but a good place to start might be mentioning the fact that spirituality in general is about getting to know yourself better. Self awareness, harmony and contentment. I can help you with info on Reiki if you need it but that would be all I'm really qualified to help with. What about touching on the fact that spirituality is a part of the more natural/primal side of humanity. If you look at most spiritual practises they are thousands of years old and come from a time when we were more in touch with nature and the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Hello folks, a group of us are doing a project on Spirituality... we are a group of five people who know very little about it but who are very interested in learning more about it.. We have to present it in about 30-40 minutes or so and so we recognise that we will only get to touch on the very basics of it as a subject... we are looking at exploring Celtic Spirituality, Native American Spirituality, New Age Spirituality... Could you suggest any others which we might look at? Where would be good to go to for information and lastly, as its such a short presentation we want to convey to the rest of the class the message/feelings in as effective a manner as possible... We've been thinking of using various types of music/lighting etc.. but are open to any ideas you might have? Thank you for any help you can give :)
    If you want to really push the envelope, and end it with the most innovative and cutting edge spiritual paths out there, I would suggest finding out a little about Chaos Magick. "New Age" spirituality is all about finding the spiritual influences and outlets that most suit one personally. Chaos epitomises this. It is a modern field in magick that seeks to deconstruct the myth-systems and ceremonial practices of every other religion and spirituality in the world, and rearrange them to be useful to the individual. It is the opposite to traditional religions in that it eschews any dogmatic core, but focuses on experimentation, change and variety. It requires no beliefs about the supernatural or anything else, and has developed lots of interesting techniques. The Internet is full of it.

As to atmosphere-setting techniques - incense and low lighting, even candlelight is always effective. You're probably thinking of whale music or panpipes or something in terms of sound. If, however, you would like something a little more... dramatic at any point in your presentation - you might want to take a look at this. It's a rather polished rendering of the First Enochian Key. It's not made up - it's quite real. Important in ceremonial magick, and, depending on the magickian, Chaos magick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why not try and involve the class by bringing in a ouija board?

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Why not try and involve the class by bringing in a ouija board?

:(

OP, please ignore Mr McG. Certainly anybody who knows anything will tell you that using the ouija board is not a safe thing to do, unless you know what you are doing. Besides, it's not really a spiritual practise.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ouija boards have as much in common with spirituality as Formula 1 has to do with safe driving on a motorway. Only similar in that they have similar components used. But very different practices, essentially.

I dont have much to help you guys out, but Daves post did make me think that it is important to separate the common perception of the paranormal and the occult from spirituality. I see spirituality at its core as a very inward looking personal thing, to do with a persons own development and peace, whereas I see the occult etc as 'outward' looking, at things that influence us. They have very different perspectives and underlying intentions to the person moving into them.

• Advertisement

KtK wrote: »
    it is important to separate the common perception of the paranormal and the occult from spirituality. I see spirituality at its core as a very inward looking personal thing, to do with a persons own development and peace, whereas I see the occult etc as 'outward' looking, at things that influence us. They have very different perspectives and underlying intentions to the person moving into them.
    Agree completly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

Oh dear,i fear you may have asked the wrong question as your going to be inundated with personal opinions here.
    I wouldnt agree with using ouija boards or magick of any description as its got nothing at all to do with spirituality.
    Spirituality is not a directed religion as it comes from within,there are no rules or regulations involved. For me,its about knowing my true self,my higher self,being non judgemental to others. Its an inner journey of many things,bringing you eventually to a point within yourself where you fully undertand who you are and why you are here. Its different for everybody as were all capable of handling different truths in our life. For me,its about letting go of your fears,trusting yourself completely, helping others to see more than just a material world,in my opinion,its about educating oneself to the point where you see no point in arguments with people,learn to respect anothers opinion,no matter how different it is to yours.
    Also,i believe,if poeple were more educated on where they came from in the beginning and understood they are here for their own benifit then the world would be a better place.Maybe people wouldnt waste there lives away,might get up utv bed and live the life they choose to take on board......ok,sorry am ranting a bit now.

Anyway,if your project is interesting enough then lighting ect will not be that important.Why dont you also look at the Tibetan Monks,they will give you so much information and you can show how there practice has influenced a lot to do with spirituality in the western world.
    best of luck with it.

Advertisement