Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with wireless connection to router

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have a wireless router with WEP encryption both on the router and pcma card. My DSL connection is through BT. Previously I had no problems when undocking my laptop in that the wireless connection was fine and worked perfectly well. Since moving house though the connection drops as soon as I undock the laptop. I have the same service provider and haven't changed any of the configuration settings on either the router or the pcma card on the laptop.

Ironically I can connect through an open connection from a neighbours broadband but cannot connect wirelessly through my own. The only difference I have in the new house is that the my wireless picks up 2-3 other connections locally whereas it only had the one connection to contend with in my previous house. I wonder whether this may be creating a conflict.

Finally I removed the WEP encryption on both the router and laptop to see if that would make a difference as I can connect through a neighbours open connection. Unfortunately it made no difference.

Can anyone give me any helpful advice as to what the cause could be. It is probably a setting on the router or laptop which needs changed. I presently have 128 bit WEP although have tried 64bit too with no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It seems to be the router, factory reset the router if you are comfortable doing this, you may have to input BT's ISP settings, try the resetted router with no encryption. You will get BT's ISP settings off their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Prob makes little sense but if it works in the dock, and as soon as you pop it out of the dock the wireless fails, then the only difference between being in the dock and not in the dock is the power source.

Therefore I'm wondering is there a power setting on the wireless card that comes into play when it runs on battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Old Pretender

Boggles tried your advice and it worked so listen thanks for that. Cheers.

Advertisement