Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules series...get Central Council go-ahead (Irish Indo)

Options
  • 19-03-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/rules-series-and-grants-get-central-council-goahead-1320240.html
    THE International Rules series involving Ireland and Australia is back on track following yesterday's decision by the GAA's Central Council to support the re-opening of discussions with the AFL.

It's understood that eight counties voted against continuing the series at yesterday's in-camera meeting at Croke Park, but a sizeable majority supported the restoration of the link-up which may resume in Australia next October.

Senior GAA officials will now hold further discussions with their AFL counterparts and if, as expected, these prove successful, an Irish team is likely to head 'Down Under' later this year.

A number of rule amendments have been made, including applying suspensions in GAA and AFL competitions to players sent off in the international games.

Ireland were due to travel to Australia last October but opted out after a breakdown in relations arising from the violence which marred the second test in Croke Park in 2006. However, detailed negotiations with the AFL prompted senior GAA officials to propose the resumption of the series, a view which Central Council is now supporting.

Anything in the press over yonder Xavi?

I'm delighted this is back on.

Hopefully we'll kick the muckers back to their mud huts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sweet FA so far.

Great news if it happens. I shall be getting my tickets for wherever the games are played. I'll have all my footy gear on supporting the pros against the postmen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Brian017

What do you guys think of this idea? Have a 2 year cycle of IR games. 1 year would be Ireland vs Australia, and next year have a "club" type game All-Ireland winners vs AFL premiers...

I think would be worth giving it a shot. Rugby League has a simliar type of game every year and that has grown and grown since its inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Meh, its only the Indo...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tis news over here now -

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/comments/0,22023,23399634-19742,00.html
    INTERNATIONAL Rules is off life-support and on track to resume in Australia in October.

The Irish counties, appalled by the violence of the 2005 and 2006 series, have given the green light for clashes with Australia to resume.

At least 24 of 32 counties backed the revival of the series at a St Patrick's Day meeting of the Gaelic Athletic Association's central council.

Talks with the AFL will now resume and it seems a formality that the league's players will get another opportunity to represent Australia.

Kevin Sheedy last night applauded the Irish decision, but said he was unsure if he would resume his role as Australian coach.

"I'd have to sit down with the AFL. I'm an ambassador for them now," Sheedy said.

"My best position might be property steward. I could jump the fence. I'm very flexible. My name remember is Kevin O'Sheedy."

Australian chairman of selectors Gerard Healy also welcomed the return, but suggested the series should undergo an image makeover after the violence that led to its suspension in 2006.

"It may be better if the matches are called Friendlies rather than Tests," Healy said.

"Perhaps they should be played in that spirit rather than the spirit of an international Test match.

"It's a difficult situation. We're talking about highly charged athletes in the primes of their lives. It's hard for them to play Friendlies."

Healy strongly backed Sheedy to resume the coaching role he had in 2005 and 2006. He said the Irish were wrong to "point the finger" at the former Essendon coach for the on-field controversy.

The AFL Commission did not discuss the possibility of an International Rules revival at its meeting last week, knowing the Irish were about to vote on the future of the series.

But it will be on the AFL Commission agenda next month.

As the Irish have always been the major stumbling block, it would be a major surprise if the commission does not rubber-stamp the series return.

Relations between the Irish and the AFL broke down after a rugged second Test at Dublin's Croke Park in 2006.

The Irish suspended their involvement and the concept looked likely to remain in the deep freeze until a meeting of the GAA and AFL in Dubai in February.

Both bodies agreed in-principle to a peace document that included ramped up penalties for poor on-field discipline.

In a major deterrent, any AFL player booked will now have to do his time during the home-and-away season. Penalties will also be doubled in weight, in line with the AFL Grand Final.

Healy said the rule, which would turn a three-match International Rules suspension into a six-match AFL suspension, would have a significant impact.

"I think you'll find if it's played in the right spirit then it won't be required," Healy said. "It will make blokes think twice. I'm not sure the clubs will be thrilled about it, though."

If the series resumes as expected, players will be heavily scrutinised by a video referee.

Fingers crossed we get one game in Sydney/Melbourne and one in Perth. I shall be going to both if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Was there one in Perth before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

DesF wrote: »
    Was there one in Perth before?

yup, for a few years there was games in Perth. Last being in 2005. It was in WA that the Irish accused an aussie training team of 'targeting' Declan Browne who got injured in a practise match and missed the series (2003 as far as I can remember, maybe '01).

Advertisement