Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few quick questions about wireless

Options
  • 18-03-2008 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Ok pretty clueless about all this stuff but I am buying a laptop and would like to get wireless internet on it.

Now I have a netopia cayman modem and I am connected to eircom broadband on my desktop at the moment. Am I right in saying that all I need to get wireless internet on the laptop is a wireless router?

Second question: If I get it set up are the speeds similiar to what I would be getting now or is wirelss slower?

Third question. Can I use the same wireless router to connect my ps3 to the internet?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You need a wireless card for your laptop as well as a wireless router. Most will come with this.

Wireless is slower and less reliable in general than cable internet.

If you get a wireless dongle for your PS3 it should connect to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

doesnt the PS3 have wifi capabilities anyways? Sony bet xbox in febuary sales... - random fact.

wireless is a lil slower, and less reliable like said but i find it genreally ok, depends how good the router and signal recieving is, mine is usuallly ok, but lately its being less reliable i think its the usb dongle i have ****ing it up...

u can share the conection on ur desktop and ur ps3 if ur desktop is near ur ps3 that is, but ur pc will also need to be on, and i think sony has a wifi accesory too

anyways ive a Q, is there any way to make a more coherent reliable wifi connection? i tihnk my USB dongle is on the way out i was gona get a PCI antena thing for this desktop which is on wifi, are they more reliable?

my desktop is beside my xbox and ive a shared connection, my desktop recieves the signal from the router to connect to the internet and ive a ehternet cable from the xbox tot he desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Babybing wrote: »
    Second question: If I get it set up are the speeds similar to what I would be getting now or is wireless slower?

In terms of connecting to the broadband, yes the wireless will be as fast as ethernet cable. Although the overall transfer speed of wireless is a lot less than an ethernet connection, it is still faster than your broadband connection typically. So the broadband connection is the bottleneck, not the wireless connection.

The only time where you will see a benefit of wired connection over wireless is if you're transferring large files from PC to PC within your home network.

-=al=- wrote: »
    anyways I've a Q, is there any way to make a more coherent reliable wifi connection? i think my USB dongle is on the way out i was going get a PCI antenna thing for this desktop which is on wifi, are they more reliable

Generally a PCI card with antenna would give a better signal alright, as the antenna is larger. It also helps to get a decent brand name. Stick to Dlink, Netgear or Linksys. Avoid Belkin as they're very poor. Other brand names aren't worth a look.

Yeah i was lookin around at some of them, but the majority seem to have the antenna attached directly to it, The computer is kinda in the corner of the room in a bad spot so i was looking at getting one with the more external antena connected with a cable

1011018183.jpg

one of those types... but is there much signal loss with the cable? it just would be nicer to place the antenna on the desk jus to get it in a better placement.... but cant find any good brand name types like that

• Advertisement

Well I know with the linksys cards the antenna is detachable. So you could take off the antenna, attach a short cable and then put antenna on the cable.

Edit: What about this: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416829185&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2918539789B05

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dont forget you can use a usb extension lead with the usb wireless dongle to give some extra flexibility on positioning and saves you opening up the pc.

Yeah i have a usb hub there thats on has a seperate usb cable so its kinda variable but its not that reliable and cuts out from time to time, its ok but not as reliable as I'd like, i shud really stop being a perfectionist about this!

But the funny thing is I got a new seperate extrenal antenna to attatch to the router, but the antenna on the router isnt detachable! feck sake, i tried opening it up, but the antenna cable is soldered directly to the circuit, so no messin with that....

but im thinking ill use the antenna if i get this PCI network card and it will hopefully achieve a nicer reliable connection and stop me using the routers software to connect to the internet, which may also contribute to the internet wifi disconnecting, with it crashing and whot not, + save some ram here, hmm

Advertisement