Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Space Fi ?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

Whats happened to the genre?, I just realised for the first time in my life i'm not waiting on any new episode next week.
    Stargate Atlantis is the only new Space Fi left it seems and that's ended to next series and Galactica is a rehash of an old series (pretty good one but no new eps any time soon)
    While they are pretty good, they really don't compare to a good Trek, Babylon 5 or Firefly series with a decent story arc imho.

Please tell me I'm missing out on some new show?

Is the genre dying or am I becoming old and thinking it was always better in my day already?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

no new eps any time soon
    Start of April actually, starting the same week in the US and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'm still holding out hope that when/if the Farscape webisodes get shown they'll be enough demand for another miniseries or DVD release or *praysToTVGods* another series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Longfield wrote: »
    While they are pretty good, they really don't compare to a good Trek, Babylon 5 or Firefly series with a decent story arc imho.
    "Firefly" never had time to establish a story arc (what it had was very thin and only fleshed out in "Serenity") and Trek never really did story arcs aside from DS9. Only "Babylon 5" of those mentioned ever really did story arcs in space fi - BS:G does quite complex ones and SG:A and SG:1 have more detailed story arcs than most other sci-fi shows.

Having said that there is a lack of decent science fiction. The most we get nowadays is shows with a twist of sci-fi - i.e. "Eureka" where they're contemporary and rely little on exploring beyond our world. We also have, of course, "Doctor Who" but from our US cousins it's very weak currently. I'm not aware of anything new on the horizon which is a shame as the relaunched BSG was both a commercial and, for once, a critical success and showed you can have intelligent sci-fi for all.

The only Sci Fi show that was on the horizion was Ice Planet with the ever dependable Michael Ironside, but it appears that the show is over before it even began. It's based on the Wes Studi film from way back in 2001, which shows just how long we've been waiting for this.

Sets have been built, CGI was tested, costumes made and all the scripts written but the entire thing jsut shut down. For the past two years, they've announced new shoot dates and then change them. At this stage me thinks the entire thing is some elaborate joke at the expense of us Sci Fi fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe a rest is required the last 10-12 years has seen a glut of "Space-fiction" - unpreceedented really.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The only Sci Fi show that was on the horizion was Ice Planet with the ever dependable Michael Ironside, but it appears that the show is over before it even began. It's based on the Wes Studi film from way back in 2001, which shows just how long we've been waiting for this.\
    Plot Summary from imdb.com

Rear Admiral Noah Trager (Michael Ironside) leads an international team of military and scientific personnel in the recovery of an ancient alien artifact. This sentient alien structure seems to draw on the memories of its human explorers as it grows. Trager, who dotes on his 10-year-old daughter, must also contend with another mystery in his life -- the unsolved murder of his wife. This is his obsession. As they explore the Artifact, Earth is devastated by a massive asteroid strike. At that very moment, the Artifact rips Trager and his crew through space-time to a mysterious Ice Planet at the edge of an ancient galaxy. Their only shelter is the damaged alien vessel. The survivors soon discover they have been dropped into the midst of an ancient alien war. They must now face a journey of evolution and self-discovery in order to fulfill their destinies. The battle often plays out as personal challenges that originate from the pasts of the survivors themselves. Cyphers of the dead will haunt our crew, such as the replicant of Trager's daughter - through which the aliens communicate. It cannot be her, but she seems real, and a force of great danger and great hope. These are the survivors' stories.
    So, its kind've like Lost? ...but in Space? Heh, Lost in Space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

well i have not heard of anything a few years ago i heard about the pretorian issue but tbh i dont know if it will get made or if it will be good. I have high hopes for better scifi in years to come but it costs so much compared to the bollox you have on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Michael Ironside is a legend and enhances everything he appears in.

SofaK wrote: »
    So, its kind've like Lost? ...but in Space? Heh, Lost in Space :)

But unlike Lost something may actually happen. Ironside keeps saying that the series is still a go, but at this stage it could be a little too late.

Actually, a reboot of Lost in Space might not be a bad idea, can't be as bad as the film.

Advertisement