Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Wireless Network Problem

Options
  • 18-03-2008 8:47pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trying to get a friends new laptop connecting to his eircom router.

He already has another laptop so we browsed to the router homepage and got the WEP key.

However when we choose his wireless network (SSIDXXXX XXXX) it does not prompt for the WEP key so we are unable to connect. It is WEP protected.

I know it should be really straight forward but for some reason it is proving to be a pain!

Are my missing something so obvious??? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Try configuring the wireless connection manually.

Additional info: Follow instructions here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/computing/wireless/manual.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

irlrobins wrote: »
    Try configuring the wireless connection manually.

Additional info: Follow instructions here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/computing/wireless/manual.html
    I tried most of the steps in the article but I will complete the whole set and report back

Thanks

Well the main thing is to click the add button in the screen shot on Step 4 and enter the details of the wireless network manually. (Untick "the key is provided for me automatically" box)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did all the steps and still no joy! The option comes up to enter the WEP key and I entered and it says connecting but it never connects!

If you entered the WEP key in the manual config it shouldn't ask you for it when you try and connect afaik.

• Advertisement

Sorry I should have said that I followed the other instructions and they didn't work so I tried a few other things and managed to be asked to enter the WEP key

I think the laptop could be faulty. I am going to ring the manufacturers tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

To confirm the basic functionality of the router and PC, try turning WEP off and connecting with no security. Obviously not recommended for regular use, but worth trying during trouble-shooting.

Quick question: how many characters are in the WEP password that you are using? - with different devices, it makes a difference - see here

Also note that you really should be using WPA - link

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Go to the land card and choose the windows connection. right click the Lan icon in the tray.

Advertisement