Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin web updater

Options
  • 18-03-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

It wont update my garmin 250w, It goes past step one, quickly downloads something (im not sure if its downloading the whole thing) then sends me to a screen saying "There was a problem communicating with the garmin website Please try again later"

Keep trying, keeps failing, any hints to get it working?

also, on my 250w sometimes i search for streets that i know are there, and present on the map, "st patricks villas" in ringsend for example, Its on the map, i can see it when i manually browse, but it wont find it when i search, any ideas why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

It wont update my garmin 250w, It goes past step one, quickly downloads something (im not sure if its downloading the whole thing) then sends me to a screen saying "There was a problem communicating with the garmin website Please try again later"

Keep trying, keeps failing, any hints to get it working?

also, on my 250w sometimes i search for streets that i know are there, and present on the map, "st patricks villas" in ringsend for example, Its on the map, i can see it when i manually browse, but it wont find it when i search, any ideas why?

Pure shots in the dark but you're not using a proxy for web access? Does the unit show up as a drive when you plug in the usb cable? If all thats ok then maybe uninstall webupdater and pull down the latest one and install that. Did you have any look at the Garmin help section on the site?
    If you can find it on the map when browsing, click on the street and see how they spell it, maybe a difference in how the "st" part is handled...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Pure shots in the dark but you're not using a proxy for web access? Does the unit show up as a drive when you plug in the usb cable? If all thats ok then maybe uninstall webupdater and pull down the latest one and install that. Did you have any look at the Garmin help section on the site?
    If you can find it on the map when browsing, click on the street and see how they spell it, maybe a difference in how the "st" part is handled...

Cheers for the reply, no proxy, the unit shows up as a drive G:\..

I tried looking on their site, but its not very helpful, i found some people having the same problem on another site, they fixed the problem but didnt know how lol..

Someone suggested doing it manually, which ill try to figure out later, and Ill try uninstall it and install it again.. it could be my router blocking a port i guess.

and adding the dublin area code helped find the places in the end, guess ill just have to learn the area codes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you know the exact s/w version you need take a look at http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/ ... they're all there.

WebUpdater uses HTTP on port 80, so it's unlikely to be a port issue on your router or firewall. Do you have any personal firewall installed that might be blocking the application itself?

Also, have you got the latest version of WebUpdater from the Garmin website? ISTR there were problems with some older versions.

EDIT: Just noticed that the updates on the website I mentioned for the 2xx series are quite old. Seems like the newer ones are only available via Webupdater for some reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Here's a weird one....... a colleague in the office bought a Nuvi 250 in February which came with V10 (2008) maps and it says that the s/w is at Version 3.70. I have a Nuvi 250 bought about two weeks before his which came with V9 maps but via the free upgrade I am now on V10 maps.

However despite using the Webupdater my unit is on 3.60 of the s/w and the webupdater says that I am on the current version.

On other units you can download the s/w upgrader but the Nuvi 2xx only seems to be upgradable via the Webdater.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes it's weird ... on the website I referred to above, the available updates for the 250 stop at 3.40, and if you go to Garmin's website and select the option to download s/w updates directly, there is no mention of the 2xx series at all. As for the 3.60/3.70 thing you're noticing it sometimes happens that Garmin updates the hardware slightly during a product's lifetime, and it could be that the 3.70 update is only relevant for the one h/w version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement