Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Television Channel

Options
  • 18-03-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

What is the best Irish TV channel

Best Irish Television Channel 51 votes

RTE 1
    0% 0 votes
    RTE 2
    7% 4 votes
    TV3
    50% 26 votes
    TG4
    11% 6 votes
    Channel 6
    25% 13 votes
    UTV
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I see you included UTV but not BBC One or BBC Two Northern Ireland :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

its a tough one between the three main channels RTE 1, network 2 and TG4,it really comes down to what material you for in your programs, i like my quick fixes and casual viewing usual some short sitcom or good fictional american series, so i would go for Network 2.

But Tg4 has some really good content, especially documentaries, RTE has some good news and current affairs programs... alot of people like to give out about the channels, but imo they are some of the best in the world, ive experienced television outside of ireland (being from a multicultural background) and it doesent compare to our setup trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The best irish television channel as far as entertainment goes is a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Cato, I agree with you there. The Irish today do nothing but complain and we never appreciate how good we've got it (in anything!). Anyway, I think all channels are decent. RTE1 does good news, history programs (Hidden History) and other mini series (Death Duties etc.) and current affairs. RTE2 gets the great US programs (Lost, Prison Break, Desperate Housewives etc.), decent films as well as the soccer, the occasional Simpsons and history/geography (?) programs. TV3 has soccer, films and occasionally gets good TV series. TG4 is the best Gaeilge channel :rolleyes: :p

My favourite would have to be RTE2 for entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

rte 2! podge and rodge .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

RTE 2 has the best all-round mix.
    Although as I get older I watch a fair bit of RTE1.
    Who voted TV3 by the way???? Its just a regurgitated UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

RTE1 for Current Affairs, RTE2 has fantastic Sports coverage and good import stuff (although I get all those from "the cousins" anyway) and TG4 for the odd documentary. TV3 is just an affiliate of ITV at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

You should wack up Setanta.

Still not at the Sky Sports level, but it has been aggressive, and shown great initiative to grow, something the other Irish stations so badly lack.

Voted for channel 6 as it does exactly what it says on the tin, entertainment: House, Dexter, Seinfeld, King of The Hill, The Office, and The Sopranos.) Big thumbs up for me, as I missed the first run of many of these shows, and I am now getting to enjoy some of the best tv of the last decade. Its also the channel that I would watch most out of the other options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't see the city channel in that list :pac:

Channel 6 is just a bunch of reruns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭lizann

Its between TG4 and RTE 2 for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

RTÉ 2 for continually punching above it's weight to get some top quality US tv shows...

TG4 can be quite good too. However i am too young for RTÉ 1(i'm only 22, so another 20 years or so before i start watching it). TV3 is terrible, all english shows that include phone-in competitions that we can't enter, never bother watching channel 6 (except when Heroes season 1 was on) or UTV (same as TV3 in my mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Weathertime on TG4....good stuff.

RTE1 would follow with shows like PrimeTime and Questions and Answers and ecoeye! (I aint joking by the by).

RTE2 is pure Americanized coddswallop with your LOST's and CSI's and as for TV3..Xposé. (would someone tell Cybil Mulcahy she cant hide Ugly with blue sparkly eyeshodow)...Gak-o-rama.

Advertisement