Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Dogs

Options
  • 18-03-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

Just wondering does anyone know about where you can send your dog to breed?? I have a 6month old pure bred male boxer and would like to send him somewhere to meet a nice girl boxer to breed :). is there anywhere trustworthy to send him in the dublin area? im not sure if he's still too young to breed though?! we havent had him neutered yet!! any help on this would be great :)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

He's much too young to breed from yet. He would need to be over a year old and fully matured physically before he should be bred from.

Before you breed from any dog you need to look at whether they are a really good healthy specimen. He may be purebred, but honestly that means nothing, even a dog from a champion line of show dogs isn't necessarily a perfect specimen themselves.

As a breed that can suffer from hip problems he should be hip scored before you consider breeding from him. You should look at what other breed faults they can suffer from and get him checked for any of these. You should get his temperament assessed to make sure he isn't going to pass on any temperament problems to any pups.

Once he has been health cleared then he should be looked at by someone with some expertise to decide if he actually conforms to the breed standard physically. Of course the best way to do that would be to show him as then you have the certs to show people.

In all honesty there is quite a lot to breeding dogs and if you just think it might be nice then I would encourage you to seriously consider having him neutered. Not all dogs that haven't been neutered remain happy well adjusted dogs for their whole lives. A stud dog needs a lot more expertise and triaining than a neutered pet.

If you get a dog neutered he never resents you for taking that away from him. They generally don't even notice anything is gone. But, it will mean that they will be much more focused on you as the most interesting thing in the neighbourhood - instead of Sally next door who seems to come into heat every 3 weeks for the number of times he escapes and tries to get into their garden. Obviously it's your decision and I am just giving my opinion here, but do think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

A dog either male or female should not be bred until the age of 2 years or after the females 3rd heat cycle. That is when a dog is fully matured and can be tested for genetic health defects. When choosing a stud you MUST find one that is smaller than your female. If she breeds with a larger male the puppies might be too big for her to deliver and get stuck in the birth canal and she could die during the birthing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Agree 110% with what Carwash said. Unless he is a perfect example of his breed there is no point in breeding him and adding even more dog's to the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eclancy

hi all, thanks for your posts in relation to this. i will take all this into consideration. personally i would prefer to get him neutered but my partner wants to breed him so i just wanted to find out a bit more about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

eclancy wrote: »
    hi all, thanks for your posts in relation to this. i will take all this into consideration. personally i would prefer to get him neutered but my partner wants to breed him so i just wanted to find out a bit more about it!

I dont mean to preach - please do what you think is best but just remember that by not spaying him you are increasing his risk of cancer which is very common - for his health I would advise it, you should talk to your vet the next time your up with him for a check up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jj1310

both carwash and jameshayes are correct, unless he is a very good specimen which only a boxer person or shows can tell, you should not breed, health wise much better to be neutred, VET will tell you just that, if boyfriends motive is money tell him forget it. There are enough horrible specimens of boxers out there due to people breeding from bad dogs for the sake of money. You won't make money from breeding dogs, the work envolved is massive if done properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

davey180 wrote: »
    A dog either male or female should not be bred until the age of 2 years or after the females 3rd heat cycle. That is when a dog is fully matured and can be tested for genetic health defects. When choosing a stud you MUST find one that is smaller than your female. If she breeds with a larger male the puppies might be too big for her to deliver and get stuck in the birth canal and she could die during the birthing.

a bitch is fully matured after her 2nd season

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

A male is sexually mature at 9mnths but unless he is an outstanding specimen and free of hereditary defects then i wouldnt breed from him.Also it is unfair to use a dog at stud unless he can have a guaranteed supply of bitches and that will only happen if he is succesful in the show ring i think it would be better for him to have him neutred.A female should not be bred from till she is two years

Advertisement