Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something wrong with cat?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Basically there's a stray kitten who hangs around the garden and is friendly enough. Now and again I give it something to eat or drink out of pity but in recent times I've noticed that around its stomach and the legs the fur has gotten very thin. The rest of the coat is fine but the legs look fairly patchy. Just wondering if anyone knows whats wrong with the cat and should I (more than likely) avoid any contact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

There are a lot of reasons why an animal might be losing fur. One of the most common in cats is ringworm, which is communicable to people. The spores of ringworm can live on lots of different surfaces, most vulnerable are children and those with a lowered immune system. If you can catch the cat and get it to a shelter or even see if a vet will take it in you would be doing a very nice thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

+1
    Get in touch with your local animal charity and get the little thing some help.

Given that you've been good enough to feed it, I'm sure you wouldn't want to look out your window at a suffering animal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I'd rather hang on to him though! I don't think he'd respond well to a vet if I were to try and take him to one, he is a stray after all.

Brow wrote: »
    I'd rather hang on to him though! I don't think he'd respond well to a vet if I were to try and take him to one, he is a stray after all.

Well he's either a stray or else you're looking after him - make the choice! :D

If you're going to look after him that means feeding him properly, giving him worm tabs and taking him to the vet when he's sick.

If you decide he's a stray - then contact a charity so that he has a chance of being looked after properly.

You obviously like the little feller - so do the right thing here! ;)

Does he let you pet him? Could you pick him up if you wanted to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It probably isn't fair to keep him around if he is having problems even though your intentions are good with feeding him and so on. Don't know your living situation but maybe consider adopting him or giving someone else the chance to give it a good life. Cats are amazing animals and great pets. Hope things work out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get some good worming paste in the pharmacy and mix it in the food.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

If you ask at your vets they might lend you a cat box to put him in to make it easier.

I wouldn't worry too much about him, if his appetite is good and he's playful. The vet will just check him out and treat him if needs be.

I have looked after and handled all sorts of cats all my life sick, bald, wild and tame and I have never ever caught anything from them. The chances of this happening are slim.

Do look after him you will reap the rewards in affection from him!;)

And Good Luck!

artieanna wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about him, if his appetite is good and he's playful.

Artieanna - you sound like you have lots of cat care experience, but I just wanted to say that a lot of cats hide their illnesses v. well.

One of my kittens had an extremely severe ear infection which I didn't notice for a while because she was still eating and leaping around the place.

So a cat can be playful, and still be quite sick. Stupid cats! They should learn to make a fuss like the rest of us do!!

Advertisement