Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Burners

Options
  • 18-03-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

For years in our rented accomadation we were on Gas heating. Now that we have purchased a house in the country we are on Oil heating. On Oct 2007 we put in €600 worth of oil and now its almost gone so it looks like i will have to get another €300 worth to last from here until the winter again. Is it normal to spend €900 a year on oil as i dont remember spending that much on gas. Is it possible there is something wrong with the heating system? Any input appreciated.
    Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

It's normal, I spend nearly 1500 a year on 1500 sqft house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 twomedcrk

I had the same experience! Bit of a shock i must say!
    I turned off rads in rooms that i don't use and kept the temp on the boiler to a level that made the rooms i lived in warm rather than very warm. It made a big difference but it still will cost a lot of money over time.
    I watch the petrol/oil prices a bit so when theres a bit of a drop in them i normally order a few hundred litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sounds about right
    if its not a new build
    have you had your boiler serviced ? make sure its running efficiently also how old is it ? new oil boilers are relatively cheap and you could save yourself the cost of the boiler in a few years
    also hows your insulation (stick in another 8 inches of loft insulation if its not a new house loft insulation compresses and loses efficiency) cavity insulation as well if you can.
    i would guess you werent in a detached house in the city ? all that wind whistling about makes a difference and not much you can do about it.

Advertisement