Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed of cat is this ?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hoping some of you cat enthusiasts out there could help me out some , I've tried with best of my abilities to find out what kind of cat this is :

55e93911_5142_4f5a_bba3_987303ddeac2.jpg

Anyone any ideas at ? Anyone even any ideas about how much these could be , like are they a high breed ? Would they be easy to get ? (girlfriends birthday in September and I think it would be a nice little companion to have around)

Thanks for any help
    Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Looks like this;

puss-in-boots1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think it's a breed called a "Scottish Fold", see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Fold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Wiki wrote:
    There is one medical problem that has been found to be related to Scottish Fold breeding. If both parents have folded ears, their kittens will be extremely likely to develop a painful degenerative joint disease that fuses the tail, ankles and knees. This condition also affects Scottish folds with one copy of the fold gene, to a lesser degree, and is the reason the breed is not accepted by the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy and the Fédération Internationale Féline

wow

jameshayes wrote: »
    wow
    the medical problem.it must be like what the bulldog breed has?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Thanks guys , looks like its a Scottish fold I'm after , I hadn't realise such large differences could occur in a single breed. Although I am concerned about the medical problem ....
    Anyone know of how to come across one of these breeds ? I'm knew to the concept of cats but is it basically the same as dogs where there will be people with "kennels" breeding them particularly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

To my knowledge there is nobody in Ireland breeding Scottish Folds.

A good place to start would be the cat fanciers club http://homepage.eircom.net/~sabcci/frameset.htm

You should find some in England. Be aware that most cat breeders are a lot more careful about where they let their cats go, be prepared to need references and a lot of checking to be done before they consider letting you have one of their kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ouch poor kitty from the wiki entry. Saw a cat similar to that on my uncles farm and it was far from a thorough breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Do you really want one - they are more freaky cute than just straighforward cute!! :D

Apart from that terrible fused limbs medical problem, I would imagine that they would find it v. difficult to clean their ears - having had a kitten with a v. bad ear infection I'd be reluctant to support this breed.

You will find the cutest kittens and cats in the world looking for homes in various rescues! Look at these little guys I adopted from a rescue:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hah. I came on here to ask that very question. They look like Japanese Manga cats!

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Hah. I came on here to ask that very question. They look like Japanese Manga cats!
    you mean this type of cat?
    lime-helmet-cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

MsFifers wrote: »
    Do you really want one - they are more freaky cute than just straighforward cute!! :D

Apart from that terrible fused limbs medical problem, I would imagine that they would find it v. difficult to clean their ears - having had a kitten with a v. bad ear infection I'd be reluctant to support this breed.

You will find the cutest kittens and cats in the world looking for homes in various rescues! Look at these little guys I adopted from a rescue:

Yeah thanks man , I was coming round to that line of thinking. Perhaps it is a bit too soon for me too be going for such a high breed, especially one with so many complications , after all this is my the first cat I will be looking after entirely by myself.
    Maybe thats what I'll do then, head myself down to the rescue centre with the GF and she can chose which one for herself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

funny-cat-shower.jpg

WindSock wrote: »
    funny-cat-shower.jpg
    "scrub me back with my loafer will ya":D:D

Advertisement