Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Cowardly' Cockers

Options
  • 18-03-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Bit of a strange one here...I have a pair of Cockers, they are brothers and have just turned one (both neutured). We walk them on the beach most days and they meet lots of other dogs. In the main they interact with them OK, they bark loudly (with tail wagging), do the circling, sniffing thing, and then tear away. They do leg it if the other dog is very loud and bouncy, but most of the time it's ten seconds of fun then they move on. However this all changed when we went to Ardgillan yesterday with my Brother in Law who has two male (entire) King Charles. My pair were TERRIFIED of them, on the lead they were jumping and hiding behind our legs, off the lead (all four of them) my pair just kept running and running away and round in circles to get away from the (admittedly hyper and yappy) Charlies.
    Has anyone experienced this with their dogs reacting differently to smaller, yappier breeds? This was even weirder when later on at the beach, my pair played and sniffed with a wolfhound and what looked like an alsation/dobie cross. They are strange dogs, but would like them to get on with the brother in laws pups as we see a fair bit of them...any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Our black cocker ALWAYS ran up to dogs when off the lead. He went for a larger Springer spaniel once and was immediately flipped on his back and pinned by the larger dog.

Our dog was un-neutered btw and a little hyper, we think he may have been inbred/a puppy farm dog, since he was passing his blood in his urine and another person who had a bitch from the same litter said she started developing cataracts at six months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not all dogs like all other dogs ...

As your two seem to interact normally with most other dogs, I would suspect that they simply dislike your brother in laws CKC's ...for whatever reason.

All you can do is wait and see ... (and maybe try the next meeting when both sets of dogs are already excercised and tired and therefore less hyper and yappy)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭McNulty

IS a strange one alright - the good thing is there appears to be little or no aggression from our two towards the CKC's even when there was food involved. Will just try and introduce them gradually and keep a close eye on the situation. Cocker Spaniels should be certified insane - I absolutely love my dogs but they are crazy

Advertisement