Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to Ask?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Im looking for information for a friend but Im not sure where I can get a definative answer because of the nature of the issue. Basically what Im looking to know is can depression qualify someone for illness benefit?

My friend has gone recently lost two people in traumatic circumstances and this has made things very very difficult for them My friend was depressed and was on medication before this loss and things have only gone from bad to worse. At the moment my friend is trying to deal with this the best they can but it is a hard slog, my friend recently started counciling but they are being told by their employer that they are not allowed time to attend counciling or any time off. Im sure this illegal but my friend is in a precarious position financially and so they must work to survive.

I suggested that they ask to be let go so that they could claim job seekers benefit to give my friend some time off to work through alot of things, attend councilling and to physically rest -their job is manual labour that has them at the point of physical exhaustion. My friend refuses to do this as they believe it to be dishonest, so my thinking is that if they will not claim job seekers allowance then would they qualify for illness benefit?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yes, Illness Benefit does recognise depression as an illness. Your friend will still need to have the required class contributions to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi NoLanger,

Thanks you so much for the reply :-) I know my friend has been working for the past two and a half years but Im not sure what class of stamp he was paying. I presume it would need to be an A class stamp?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah depression is covered by illness benefit.(its one of the biggest claims).if your friend does not have enough contributions the local health board will pay the same money thru the Community Welfare Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

yabadabado wrote: »
    yeah depression is covered by illness benefit.(its one of the biggest claims).if your friend does not have enough contributions the local health board will pay the same money thru the Community Welfare Officer.

What about anxiety, is that as legit as depression??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah its covered aswel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Thanks a million for the feedback guys, really appreciate it :-)

Advertisement