Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know how to get rid of ants?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Just wondering cos my house is after becoming infested! i know where there coming from so how do i stop them and where can i get the relevant tools!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Ant powder is the only way to go, dont know the name of it sorry, but its basically like a grey dust. Put it all around their nest, as well as along the paths they travel in. We had them for ages and tried everything- and that was the only thing that worked. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

You can buy this ant killer in the form of a gel, that you leave in a couple of places in this little plastic thing they give you. (can't remember what it's called) The ants collect it and bring it back to the den where it kills all of them! Very effective. But sad, because they really are interesting creatures!
    I'm sure you could get it or something similar in the supermarket or gardencentre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Chalk. Draw a line of chalk around the fcukers. They won't pass the white line. Eventually they'll starve, die and disintegrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Just asking the question here (not trying to drag off topic or troll) but I thought these kind of threads were not allowed in this forum

To the OP, we often have loads of ants out side our house but it seems to be seasonal and they are not around much in winter. Usually summer only, don't know why, never looked into it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

If you know their point of entry, you can deter them and distract them.
    Put sugar and any food they like in a little plastic container turned on it's side right outside the entry point. If they're ants, they'll find it! When they can get a better supply of food *outside* your house, (eventually) they'll stop coming in.
    This won't give instant results, but persevere, and you'll win.
    They hate paprika, cinnamon, bay leaves (crush them a bit to release the smell), ground pepper and vinegar, lemon, cucumber and garlic, too.
    Wiping the surfaces you see them running on with UNdiluted white vinegar cuts through their "trail" and they hate it.

Just google Natural Ant Control for more suggestions.
    You don't *have* to kill them.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'd recommend ducks (they LOVE ants), but I don't think you'd want them in your house as they shoot poo everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I spotted a few myself - early this year.

Nippon Ant Killer is your only man.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

me wife uses talcum powder she hates ants for starters.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement