Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are police work dogs pts if not good enough ???

Options
  • 17-03-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

read
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detection_dog

last paragraph on Cadaver sniffing dogs

"if a Federally trained cadaver dog does not make this crucial passing score, he is required to start the six-month training programme from day one. If the dog fails twice, he is euthanized. "

i am sure this is american which is bad also , but does that happen in ireland / uk ? is there anytype of group trying to help out dogs that "dont pass the test" ???

i thought reading that was horrible .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Many types of working dogs who don't 'make the grade' are euthanised. Have you any idea what happens in the Irish/UK greyhound industry? Hundreds of them are 'clonked' every year with little attempt made to rehome or rehabilitate them. Whatcha gonna do?

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Many types of working dogs who don't 'make the grade' are euthanised. Have you any idea what happens in the Irish/UK greyhound industry? Hundreds of them are 'clonked' every year with little attempt made to rehome or rehabilitate them. Whatcha gonna do?

'cptr
    whats 'clonked'
    its not what i think is it: A heavy dull sound (as made by impact of heavy objects)
    - thump, thumping, clump, clunk, thud?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Well, I remember seeing a documentary where one guy in the greyhound industry had his dogs humanely PTS by a vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Demonique wrote: »
    Well, I remember seeing a documentary where one guy in the greyhound industry had his dogs humanely PTS by a vet

Oh well thats ok then!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

hel_hev wrote: »
    i am sure this is american which is bad also , but does that happen in ireland / uk ? is there anytype of group trying to help out dogs that "dont pass the test" ???

In the UK if a GSD fails it is passed on to the Armed Response Units (Trojan Dogs) where it is trained to disarm gunmen. Not sure what they do here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Demonique wrote: »

Well you may also have seen the documentary about the guy in the UK with the 20 acres of wasteland and a mini digger, who had shot thousands of greyhounds and buried them there. He charged £15stg a time if I remember correctly. Animal welfare bodies are reducing the incidence of this activity but it is wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Oh well thats ok then!:mad:

Well, at least he was humanely dealing with them as opposed to whacking them over the head or sending them off to Spain

Advertisement