Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answer to a potential interview question

Options
  • 16-03-2008 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have my preliminary cadetship interview soon enough. I'm quite confident about any questions they throw at me (although I've been told the initial interview won't be too detailed) with one exception.

Q: Are you a member of the RDF? (I'm not)
    Q: Why not?

I'm not sure how to answer this if I'm being honest and it worries me that the interviewers will see it as a lack of enthusiasm for the job.

The honest reason for it was simply due to demands of my college course over the last few years (more hours than most - practical classes every week), the fact I'm in my final year now and my sport and some charity commitments I didn't think I'd be able to fit in or fully commit to the RDF, even though it certainly interested me.

Not a great answer but at least it's the truth. So if anyone has any advice on what else to say or how to phrase it differently that would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

When i had the interview i just said that with study and work i was unable to commit to join a that time but wanted to. Just be honest with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Say you did not join because you didn't want to end up not giving it your all.That way you look to have your priorities straight

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

eroo wrote: »
    Say you did not join because you didn't want to end up not giving it your all.That way you look to have your priorities straight

Personnally, I wouldn't say that as (I think) it sounds as the RDF wasn't good enough for you.. Just IMO.

Just tell them your Studies prevented you from commiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

The honest reason for it was simply due to demands of my college course over the last few years coupled with sport and some charity commitments I didn't think I'd be able to fit in or fully commit to the RDF, even though it certainly interests me.

ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Personnally, I wouldn't say that as (I think) it sounds as the RDF wasn't good enough for you.. Just IMO.

Just tell them your Studies prevented you from commiting.

I should've been clearer!:o

What I meant was that he should say he was looking at getting his degree done before entering any aspect of the DF,rather than give a half-hearted attempt at both.

Also,Irish's point could just handle the question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Thanks for the help lads. It did come up and I just said due to my hours in college and the stage of my degree I wanted to give my education the priority.

Advertisement