Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maury

Options
  • 16-03-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

I'm watching this right now on LIVING and I'm actually speechless. It's beyond Jerry Springer in its level of exploition of guests. I think what makes it worse is the fact that the host "Maury" puts on this air of caring for the victims when conversely you can almost smell the air of insincerity off him. The show is worth a watch for sociological reasons alone. Instead of provoking violence like Springer wishes this show is clearly fueled by female tears.

So anyway it's been on about 25 mins now and they've wheeled out around a dozen couples (females were represented about 50/50 white/black, males 80/20 black/hispanic (no white males so far!).)

The topic is cheating. Every man has sworn faithfullness. All have subsequently failed lie detector tests. Clearly this show is "Jerry Springer for women" but I was surprised by the amount of latent racism in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I haven't ever seen the show, but it's funny because I just watched the South Park where they basically portray Maury doing everything you said in your post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Usual stuff.

" Baby you know i love you right? well i brought you on here today cause i have a secret to tell you!!"

I mean seriously.......you couldn't tell me you were a worthless piece of trash at home?

OMG i cringe for those men / women who have to sit there and hear the "secret" in front of millions of viewers. As for those "you're not the father / you are the father shows..they are sooo bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

He exploits poor blue collar americans just like springer.Guess what else they have in common?:cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pigman II wrote: »
    I'm watching this right now on LIVING and I'm actually speechless. It's beyond Jerry Springer in its level of exploition of guests. I think what makes it worse is the fact that the host "Maury" puts on this air of caring for the victims when conversely you can almost smell the air of insincerity off him. The show is worth a watch for sociological reasons alone. Instead of provoking violence like Springer wishes this show is clearly fueled by female tears.

So anyway it's been on about 25 mins now and they've wheeled out around a dozen couples (females were represented about 50/50 white/black, males 80/20 black/hispanic (no white males so far!).)

The topic is cheating. Every man has sworn faithfullness. All have subsequently failed lie detector tests. Clearly this show is "Jerry Springer for women" but I was surprised by the amount of latent racism in it.

There's your problem right there...

Mauri is the ultimate living programme. Its all chock full of soul destroying, heartless rubbish. And yes, the underlying racism is disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

I haven't ever seen the show, but it's funny because I just watched the South Park where they basically portray Maury doing everything you said in your post :)

lol.. do the kids at school laugh at you.. do they call you FREAK!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I was off work sick last week and to pass the time I flicked maury on. One of the days the title was "14th time to get paternity test" or something along those lines. It was the guests 14th time on the show to find the father of "one" of her kids and guess what "he was NOT the father" so she'll be back in a few months. Absolute tripe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Pigman II wrote: »

I admit this is one of my guilty pleasures- Big mug of tea , a choc biccy and An hour of Maury, I like it because its doesnt have the whole Trailer Trash stuff Jerry Springer has, like the "My mamma shagged my sisters Bf, while i taped it and put it online and now i want my share" kinda crap.

Weird though Maury was a journilist and now hes a TV host!But still good for when i need some good-bad TV

Advertisement