Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The next Discworld movie will be...

• 16-03-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

'Going Postal'.

Apparently, it was announced at the PR event for 'The Colour of Magic' movie in London the other day.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

huh...

thats an interesting choice.

by interesting i mean, wtf?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Maybe they're trying out each of the different cycles to see which one is most successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Dammit, I was hoping it would be one of the City Watch books

Going Postal seems like a pretty odd choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Going Postal would be fairly cheapish to make almost entirely set in the office barring the race and few trips about town.

David Jason for moist? :D

kdjac ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

David Jason would be too old to play moist, he'll probably play Junior Postman Groat as he's the older character in the book.

So long as they don't cast that guy who played teatime in Hogfather I don't mind, really couldn't stand him in that !

Definitely like to see a City Watch novel done next....Ross Kemp for Commander Vimes perhaps :D:D ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

read somehwere Jason is part of the production company and really really wants to be involved with the episodes.

Sad thing is everyone has an idea of how someone should look, LOTR was done well in that the characters looked like you would iamgine them to be.

but using the same actor to play a few key parts lessens the look of them.

Vimes should be Sean Connery :D

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

vinnie jones for vimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Let's hope they get Tom Cruise for Nobby Nobbs, I mean he has the height for it (although if I remember nobby had an irish accent in the computer games and we know from far and away that tom just can't do an irish accent so that'd rule him out :p ).
    If David Jason is involved in the films then he'd be perfect for Fred Colon!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I could see David Jason as Groat or maybe he'll have sense and step aside and maybe take on one of the parts of the other senior postmen (along with Prachett too for the lulz. Potential for a lot of old fart cameos with that lot).

Carrie Moss for Spike ;)

There's a guy who does ads (I know, bear with me) that I think'd be perfect for Stanley - he was in an AIB Christmas party ad - real meek and timid looking guy looking around the room at the party for someone to talk to while the voice over said it's thing. He was also in some sort of cold/flu medicine ad. I can see him swinging a bag at a banshee though whilst having a "little episode."

As for Moist, it's a hard one to call. I'm sure there are a few really good actors who could do it, but I'm damned if I can think of anyone right now :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Kharn wrote: »

As for Moist, it's a hard one to call. I'm sure there are a few really good actors who could do it, but I'm damned if I can think of anyone right now :)

It would have to be someone completely forgettable with absolutely no distinguishing marks whatsoever.

I think the big problem with the discworlds so far has been the pacing - they're too slow for Pratchett and leave out much of the most. Going postal is one of the fastest paced of the discworlds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It would have to be someone completely forgettable with absolutely no distinguishing marks whatsoever.

I think the big problem with the discworlds so far has been the pacing - they're too slow for Pratchett and leave out much of the most. Going postal is one of the fastest paced of the discworlds.

That was still a problem with the colour of magic although not not as bad as the Hogfather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my cast for going postal (well for 2 characters)

John Simm as Moist

Roger Allam as Gilt

i would cast Tim Currey but the colour of magic ruined that idea.

Vimes is my all time favourite discworld character I would find it very difficult to find someone to play him right. When Pratchett was asked about it years ago he said: Pete Postlethwaite was who he imagined when he created him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Postlethwaite

I've always seen someone who looked like Clint Eastwood (old version. not blondie) personnally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ray Winstone as Vimes. He's got the tough guy image going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

I still haven't saw the Colour of Magic film they produced. Must get my hands on a copy.

I'd also like to see a City Watch film made. Although I think one of the Death books would be better if they made a better version of Death than that of the Hogsfather Film. Death just didn't seem right to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

The obvious choice for Nobbs is mackenzie Crook. alan Rickman for Vetinari??

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cabra64

Yes definately should be one of The Watch done next. Rickman would do a fine job but surely there's someone less obvious for the role. I thought Fiennes did v well previously. Vimes is one of my favourite characters and i think his part should go to someone who is tough but not in the macho way, more in the dogged not give up way. Plus he has to be able to laugh at himself and drew pity from the viewer not sure if R Kemp has these qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

Kharn wrote: »
    IAs for Moist, it's a hard one to call. I'm sure there are a few really good actors who could do it, but I'm damned if I can think of anyone right now :)

Yeah i've been saying it for a while now, that David Tennant (10th Doctor Who) would be a perfect Moist Von Lipwig..
    Fun, Energetic and has a Way of talking to people,
    he has a load of Cameo appearances in a load of movies, and we all know he has the perfect mix of a scottish and english accent, so he could appear to be from Überwald, well he could have a throwback of an accent, nothing like Lady Messero,(Vetinari's Aunt)
    But you know how these things can be lead astray..
    a bad casting could go to the Lipwigsers....:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

cabra64 wrote: »
    Plus he has to be able to laugh at himself and drew pity from the viewer not sure if R Kemp has these qualities.

couldn't have put it better myself..
    but, isn't Vimes supposted to be a "lanky" kinda person... but the same with Rincwind... He was alright...

Advertisement