Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To clone a radio signal [MS + Logitech]

• 16-03-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

Any gamers out there who own a Logitech G25 steering wheel and where unlucky enough to go out and buy an XB 360 instead of the PS3 are already on the same page as I, if you are'nt up to speed on the current situation this support forum over @ Logitech should clear up any questions, in short the G25 is not and as far as i can see can not work with MS hardware.

I also am aware of MS buying Logitech, but I can't see this making any difference to the current technical barriers that stand between this peripheral and the xbox.

Technical barriers:
    There are two answers to this issue.

First, at this point in time, Logitech is not licensed by Microsoft to develop a force feedback steering wheel for Xbox 360 - only corded controllers. The DriveFX wheel is, effectively, an Xbox 360 controller that is shaped like a steering wheel and has a force feedback motor in place of the standard vibration motors.

Second, even if Logitech were licensed to make a force feedback wheel for Xbox 360, there are significant technical limitations which prevent these wheels from functioning on on Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 features controller and force feedback architectures (XID, device-based force feedback playback) that are significantly different from the way our wheels work on PC, PS2, or PS3 (HID, host-based force feedback playback). It is not possible to enable Xbox 360 functionality with a software or firmware update.

Logitech understands that our customers wish to use our steering wheels on multiple gaming platforms. We have made significant efforts to ensure that our PC wheel drivers support our PS2 wheels, and our PS2 force feedback SDK supports our PC wheels. PS3 games that support Logitech force feedback also support the same list of wheels. At this point in time, these are the only three platforms with which it is possible to have a single force feedback wheel be compatible. Were it possible to effect a firmware or software change to enable Xbox 360 compatibility with our existing wheels, we would do so. Unfortunately, however, until Logitech is licensed by Microsoft to design and manufacture force feedback wheels, no Logitech force feedback wheels will function on Xbox 360.

I am asking for technical assistance/advice if I may, as can see two way's around these barriers but do not have the know how to fully test them.

The first workaround would be to get the G25 to 'talk' to the Xbox through the guts/internals of an old MS wheel, this could only be done if I was able to get raw axis data from the G25 through usb as a kind of raw data conversion:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=47098&d=1200140215
    Bringing me to my first question, How can I convert this usb data back into raw axis data?

The second workaround and also most likely being the cheaper to impliment would use the current wireless infrastructure already in place on the Xbox, the only drawback is that the user would need a PC nearby to recreate/clone the Xbox wireless signal. Again this is where my techical know-how grinds to a frustrating halt, I do know that to see this workaround through I would need a. means of sampling Xbox peripheral radio signals (which I can't), and b. Someone who has experience with MS wireless cards to recreate this signal (which I can't), and finally c. An individual who has experience with peripherals to give the raw axis data to the wireless guy so he can recreate radio signal and everything would be hunky-dory/problem solved, bringing me to my final question, does antone know any individuals with the technical know how to carry out such testing?

CSU

Advertisement